Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/26 - Double

There is a great editorial in today's NY Post regarding a double standard the government is practicing - what - only one? Any hunter who kills a bald eagle faces a $100,000 fine and possible imprisonment. Traditional energy corporations pay millions each year in such fines when an eagle is electrified or killed by an oil spill. One particular company has ponied up 10.5 mil for the electrified deaths of 232, but zero for the 20 chopped up in its wind turbines. In this matter, green energy companies get a pass from the environmental racketeers in government agencies. Last year windmills killed 573,000 birds, among them rare bald eagles. It's another example of the stacked deck facing the producers of 95% of the country's fuels, oil and gas, proving once again that there is no bigger criminal organization than government.

The planet has flip-flopped from global warming to cooling, at least in the tri-state area. Since it is nearly June, the heat in the building no longer kicks in on cool nights. My apartment was so cold this morning. I under-dressed for my morning walk. When I left to run the book shop, I was wearing two sweat shirts and a jacket. I did not begin to feel warm until I sat in my car, which was in the sun. I left the windows rolled up until I reached Bay Parkway. By the time I set up I was sweating and removed the top two layers. The wind diminished a bit and the sun was shining beautifully. Is it safe to say the worst is now behind us? Then again, how foolish to complain given what the folks in Tornado Alley suffered.

Author Bill Brown stopped by the book shop. He was recently let go from his proof-reading job. He is happy to report he's gotten a bite on a resume` he sent out on Monster.com. When he was asked what salary he expected, he gave a low ball figure, which was probably a smart move. He has submitted a novel he has translated from French to publishers in Italy, the book's origin. He had copies in each language and compared them. His chief trouble was trying to figure out how to represent Milanese slang. He sent five hard copies overseas. It cost him $70. Ouch. Good luck, sir.

I didn't earn much money today. I let a Russian gentleman talk me into a four for two. A lady moving to Wilkes Barre, Pa., where "the streets and sidewalks are so clean," bought a sci-fi novel, and Bob purchased Batman and Robin (1997) on VHS. It was George Clooney's only performance as the Caped Crusader, and it pales woefully compared to the Christian Bale films. And an elderly woman donated three Danielle Steel novels, which one of my regulars, Marsha, is always seeking. So I guess I was pretty lucky. My thanks to all.
Vic's 4th Novel:
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment