Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/22 - Darkness

I tell myself I will never watch a Holocaust film again. After all, what is the point? Only the deniers don't get it. Then one comes along that seems a little different and I add it to my list at Netflix. Such is the case with In Darkness (2011), a Polish film based on a book, In the Sewers of Lvov… by Robert Marshall, who co-wrote the screenplay with David Shamoon. It is based on actual events. One of the most shocking things about it is the portrayal of the every day bigotry to which most people, including Jews, occasionally descend, which reminded me of Crash (2004), rare Hollywood fare that depicts prejudice as universal, not exclusive. Of course, the film in question doesn’t place such bigotry on a par with the atrocities of the Nazis and their collaborators. It is just as frank sexually. Men and woman screw under dubious circumstances in full view of their peers, in one case in open infidelity. Much of the film, which is in color, is shot underground, only faces illuminated. It seems influenced by two classics: the Polish WWII set Kanal (1957) and The Third Man (1949). It is alternately gut-wrenching, repulsive and infuriating. Above all, it is honest. It is subtitled. Polish, German, Yiddish and Lithuanian are spoken. There is high drama regarding which, if any, of the characters will survive. In researching the film at IMDb, I was stunned to find it was directed by a woman, Agnieska Holland, whose other works are totally unfamiliar to me. Born in Warsaw, she has directed episodes of The Wire, Cold Case and The Killing. Kudos, madam. On a scale of five, I rate In Darkness four. It is rated 7.1 of ten at IMDb. It is long and unpleasant but worthwhile, running  about 2:20.

Speaking of darkness - Anthony Weiner has announced his candidacy for the mayoralty of NYC. What field other than politics could such a man enter? He fits right in, especially in the scandal ridden Big Apple.

I got a letter from Dr. K, my dentist since the mid ‘80’s, announcing his retirement. I’d guess he’s 80. I always teased him by calling him "The Legend." He is a mensch. All the best to you, sir, and to your lovely assistant and wife, Ann, and to your son David. I will miss you. You brought light - and a lot of pain into the world.

It was a quiet day at the floating book shop. I had two quick sales at the start, and nothing thereafter. My thanks to the young woman who bought the anonymous epic poem Beowulf, believed composed between the eighth and eleventh centuries, and the Jules Verne classic Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea; and to local security guard Will, who bought an Elvis gospel CD.
Vic's 4th Novel:
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment