Total Pageviews

Friday, May 17, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/17 - Changes

Spoiler Alert - If you’ve taped or wish to catch last night’s two-hour season finale of Elementary during a rerun, don’t read this. This modern adaptation is usually a lot of fun, despite the overbearing arrogance of Holmes as played by Jonny Lee Miller. Fortunately, his attitude is toned down considerably in this episode, as he is humbled by his arch-nemesis Moriarty, who he believes is responsible for the death of the love of his life, Irene Adler. It’s always interesting to see how the numerous adaptations interpret the players. This one casts the beautiful Lucy Liu as Watson, Joan not John. It came up with a novel twist concerning Adler, who is actually the diabolical Moriarty, played by lovely Brit Natalie Dorner, who has appeared regularly in Game of Thrones and The Tudors, neither of which I’ve seen. Now that Moriarty/Adler has been dispatched, temporarily I presume, it seems that Holmes and Watson will become lovers. Although I didn’t mind the change to Adler’s character, I’m not comfortable with the heroes sharing a bed. Who knows - maybe the next adaptation will have the two as gay lovers. It wouldn’t surprise me, but it might kill me. I doubt Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is spinning in his grave at the alterations. I would expect he would be thrilled that his creations still resonate 83 years after his death in 1930.

Scandal # 4: Two terrorists who were put in witness protection have disappeared. If these four events were were in a novel, who would believe it? I imagine Slick Willie is laughing himself silly as the memory of his scandals get shoved further down the line. I picture him pumping his fist, saying: "Go, Bam, go." I almost feel sorry for the President and those who voted for him. Then again, the most partisan will pooh-pooh moves what would have made them livid had Republicans done them. It's just politics, or it's all Bush's fault. Almost half the respondents in a recent poll still blame Dubya for the state of the economy.

Our mailman, Ken, just delivered the two copies of Exchanges I purchased on gift certificate from Amazon. They look beautiful. The first goes to my sister. I can't wait to see the expression on her face tomorrow. As for today, there were few buyers, but I received a massive donation from Old Simon, and several books from Justin, a local porter, including a Russian translation of a book by notorious beat writer Charles Bukowski. I'll have to warn potential customers of its vulgarity. Simon was thrilled when I handed him Katherine Hepburn's last book, Me. He eats up that old Hollywood stuff.
Vic's 4th Novel:
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment