Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/8 - Angel

The floating book shop was closed today, as I accompanied a friend on a trip to the doctor. It will reopen tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's an excerpt from All Hallows, a screenplay in which five nuts escape from an asylum. It pays tribute to movie and TV fare that has entertained us through the decades. I think this clip is self explanatory.

     Part 15: Angel's car. She's cruising slowly, scanning every costume she encounters. She stops and dials her cellular phone, nervously fingers her crucifix.
   Angel: It's me, Dorie. FBI show up?
   Doris, a plump middle-aged woman, is seated at her post.
   Doris: No. What's keepin' 'em?
   Angel: Did you lock the door? You're all alone. Maybe you better. And don't open it for
anybody you don't know. Have the FBI slide their I.D.'s under the door.
   Doris: They'll love that.
   Angel: Too bad.
   Doris: I'm scared.
   Angel: You'd be crazy not to be. Did the boys call in?
   Doris: No.
   Angel: Ring Barney.
   She waits, eying the street and sidewalk.
   Doris: He's not in the car.
   Angel: Damn.
   Doris: Don't worry, honey. He can handle himself. I wish you were around to see him play football. Every girl in town was in love with him, includin' me. Don't ever tell my Harry I said that, though.
   Angel: I would've loved to've seen it just to see him show some emotion.
   Doris: I don't understand why he never settled down. I suppose it was the war.
   Angel: I'm glad he never did. Lock that door, sweetie. I'll call back in fifteen minutes.
   Doris waddles to the door, murmuring, and breathes a sigh of relief upon locking it. She tenses as she hears a creak.
   Doris: Who's there?
  She screams as a mouse scurries past her. Nearby, a cat is perched on a window sill, staring at her, head atilt.
   Doris: What're you - on vacation? No more chow-chow for you. You're gonna hafta start earning your keep around here like everybody else.
   Meanwhile, Angel is seated in the idling car, thinking, observing. A witch on a bicycle sails past her, humming the witch's theme from "The Wizard of Oz." Angel follows, pulls even with her, rolls down the window.
   Samantha, imitating Margaret Hamilton: I'll get you my prit-tee.
   Angel: Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to the Bates- Myers Institute?
   Samantha tenses demonstrably.
   Samantha: You stay away from me.
   Angel: Mary Shelley?
   Samantha pulls a can of canned string from her cape and fires at Angel, who hits her brakes momentarily, tears the string away, and pursues. Samantha takes to the sidewalk, finds a shortcut, and puts distance between Angel and she. She turns a corner too fast, however, and falls. She scrambles to her feet and runs.
   Samantha: Daddy! Daddy!
   Angel's car screeches to a halt. She exits, gun drawn. She didn't hear the cry of "Daddy!" She follows across a lawn. The witch climbs porch stairs. A shotgun blast goes off. Angel is so startled she falls backward and checks herself for wounds. She looks up and sees the Clown pointing a shotgun at her. A waft of gunsmoke hangs in the air above him.
   Clown: I got more in here if you desire.
   Angel, resting on her elbows, has a flashback of her rapist's stocking-covered face.
   Clown: Never killed a woman before.
   Angel: I'm with the Sheriff's department.
   The Clown smirks.
   Clown: Doesn't surprise me.
   Angel: That's your daughter, I take it?
   Marge emerges from the shadows.
   Marge: That's right. And whose daughter are you - the devil's?
   Angel: I'm sorry. She fit the description of someone at large.
   Marge: Get off our property right now.
   Angel rises. Samantha sticks her tongue out at her.
   Marge: Come inside and have some cocoa, honey. It's like New York out there tonight.
   Samantha: My bike!
   Marge: Fetch it, Jim.
   As Angel nears her car, Schottsie's nemesis emerges from the shadows.
   Angel: Whatta you want?
   The dog growls, baring its fangs.
   Angel: As if I didn't know. Typical male.

Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment