Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/3 - Perception

Perception often differs from reality. Reading newspapers, which accentuate the negative, it often seems that violent crime is rampant. This is not the case, at least in NYC, which saw a 50-year low in murder in 2012. In 1990 there were about 2000 homicides in the five boroughs. This year there were about 400. Other major cities, such as Chicago and Detroit, continue to be plagued by high rates in violent crime. Why is there such a difference between NYC and the others? It may be because of the controversial Stop and Frisk policy, which allows officers, on instinct, to question and search citizens. Those who value civil liberties over safety are trying to have the policy banned. If they succeed, it will be interesting to see if the murder rate rises. I expect it will. Another plus for the city is an all-time low in deaths by fire, 58. It’s nice to see authorities get these crucial aspects of governance right. It’s also surprising, given the city’s liberal nature in everything else, which results in the highest cost of living practically anywhere in the U.S..

To my delight, Avis is purchasing Zipcar, in which I invested a few years ago. I saw its price melt from $28 a share to below seven. It rallied past twelve yesterday. I doubt I’ll ever make my money back, even if I hold on to however many shares I’m left with when the sale is finalized. If my math is right, I should end up with 60 shares of Avis. If it pays a dividend, I’ll hold on to the stock. If not, I may sell. I wonder if the move is adaptation of a great idea, or an attempt to kill a less lucrative option to Avis’ coffers. Then again, if the Zipcar model appeals to consumers, someone else will give it a go if Avis chooses to do nothing with it. That’s the beauty of the marketplace. It always looks for a better way.

RIP Patti Page, 85, the top selling female recording artist of the 1950’s. She was also the first singer to have a show on all three major networks. She had 24 top ten singles, four number ones, including Tennessee Waltz and How Much Is That Doggie in the Window? Well done, madam.

The first sale of the year went to Anita, aka the Merry Mailwoman, who bought a Martha Grimes thriller. The second went to Mikhail, aka Mr. Almost, who purchased a novel in Russian. Thanks, folks. For the second day in a row I remained in my car practically the entire session. I pulled a blanket from the trunk to cover my legs, and jammed my feet under the front passenger seat to keep them warm. Adapt or perish.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment