Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/19 - Finales

Fringe ended its run on Fox last night after 100 episodes. There wasn't much fanfare leading up to it. I didn't even know the end had come. How strange that it occurred in January. I guess the network is anxious to get to its new programs. In back to back shows, it came to a definitive, satisfying conclusion, unlike The X-Files or Lost. It was unusually touchy-feely. Even the two Olivias embraced as the heroine briefly visited the parallel universe, or should I say one of the universes. There were several in the series’ arc. There had been so much tension between the Olivias previously that it was unusual to see them be so warm to each other. As expected, Walter made a heroic sacrifice to atone for his past sins. I’m not sure how the show will stand up to the test of time. Given the amount of cable channels, it will find a home somewhere. It’s a lot better than most series. Now I wonder if ABC’s Last Resort will have a satisfying conclusion. Given the most recent plot events, I don’t see how it can be wrapped up quickly. There are only a few episodes remaining. Rumor has it that it will be picked up by another network. Although grim, it is absorbing. I hope it doesn’t end up in limbo like FOX’s Alcatraz or ABC’s Flash Forward, which hooked and left me dangling after they were cancelled.

RIP Earl Weaver, 82, legendary manager of the Baltimore Orioles, who won 1480 games, three pennants and the World Series in 1970. He was frequently more entertaining than the actual game. He still holds the record for ejections, 94. He has been quoted many times. Here's one of my favorites: "On my tombstone just write, 'The sorest loser who ever lived.'" He was one of a kind.

A woman approached the floating book shop today and asked if I had anything appropriate for a 14-year-old boy. I spotted only Stephen King, with whom she was familiar. She also took a look at A Hitch in Twilight, and I knew I'd have to shoot myself in the foot, and said several of the stories would not be right for her son. I use my youngest niece, Sandra, as a guide on this. When the collection first came out, she would not let her son, 14 at the time, read it. I don't know if he has since then. He will be 17 next week. My thanks to the woman, and to the young man who purchased Richard Minter's Mastermind, a book on Khaled Sheik Mohammad, the fiend who instituted the plot to bring the Twin Towers down. And special thanks to Bad News Billy, who overpaid for the Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra audio cassettes, and good writing and research paper guides.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment