Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/16 - Pioneers

PBS has run a series called The Pioneers of Television, which focuses on the talent of the medium‘s early years, both in front of and behind the cameras. I‘m not sure if it has produced new episodes. Last night I viewed one I hadn‘t seen before on funny ladies, which I suspect is new, as there was a different narrator, a light, upbeat voice replacing a deep reverential one. It featured chiefly Betty White, Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Phyllis Diller and Joan Rivers. Several others were cited briefly. The ubiquitous White appeared on TV in its infancy in the late 40’s and is still going strong. In listing credits, IMDb counts a series as one, although an actor may have appeared in hundreds of episodes. My unofficial tally on White is 625; Ball 510; Moore 379; Burnett, who also did Broadway shows, 323. I wasn’t able to come up with a figure for Diller or Rivers, which would no doubt be high if appearances on talk shows and Ed Sullivan were included. Rivers served as Johnny Carson’s permanent guest host and has done numerous spots with her daughter, Melissa. I am not a fan of stand up comedy. My mind begins to drift after about five minutes. I remember laughing out loud at her opening monologues on The Tonight Show at the height of her career, when she was hitting on all cylinders and looked great, better than she did in her youth. I remember one brilliant line in particular and chuckle whenever I recall it: “My body’s fallin’ so fast my gynecologist wears a hard hat.” These broads began their careers way before feminism was fashionable. In an interview on the program, MTM spoke of her falling out with Gloria Steinem, who wanted her to speak out and cite career above motherhood. She refused to denigrate stay at home moms, the backbone of any society. Kudos, and to all these fantastic artists.

The NRA is getting heat for mentioning that the school the President's daughters attend has armed guards. I don't see anything wrong with it. His kids are no more precious than anyone else's. I see only two alternatives to the gun issue: Confiscation, which might lead to armed resistance and a number of deaths on both sides, or armed guards. The latter would be costly. I have a solution - get the money from the teachers' unions, use it to buy the safety of children rather than the votes of spineless politicians who protect their outrageous benefits and salaries.

The floating book shop was rained out today. I filled the hours dusting, reading, redeeming recyclables and shopping. I also made deposits for a friend, and the bank offered free cookies. And I found a quarter on my way home.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment