Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/10 - Picks

Baseball writers have struck a blow against steroid use. In the annual balloting for the Hall of Fame, no one was selected, although several players of incredible accomplishment qualified. I do not like Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds, but it is ludicrous to keep them out of the Cooperstown. There’s no way of knowing how many of their opponents were juicing. I sense the writers will eventually relent. Given the drivel and swill many serve to the public in their columns, I don’t know that they should be throwing stones. If I were on the committee, I might apply the same reasoning I do toward Pete Rose: I will vote for your induction on the day you die; you should not be allowed that honor in your lifetime.

Just before the end of 2012, WOR-AM in NYC let go of the Mike Gallagher, the “Happy Conservative Warrior.” I was disappointed, although I listened to his show only 20 or so minutes a day. This week a permanent replacement has been installed: Mark Simone, legendary local DJ. I was skeptical at first, although I enjoyed his work back in the day. I’m pleased that he is at least right of center. He is not yet comfortable in his new role. I hope he will display the great wit he did while spinning records. Good luck, sir.

I’m not sure what to think of the Redskins’ handling of their brilliant rookie QB, Robert Griffin III, who needs major surgery to repair a damaged knee. Before placing blame on head coach Mike Shanahan, let’s remember that RGIII did not want to come out of the game against the Seahawks, despite a pronounced limp. Let’s hope for a full recovery for this amazing talent.

I’m a member of a free sports website, Crowd Picks, wherein there is competition for cash prizes, and a $20 payout that takes a long time to accumulate. I forgot about a contest it was running on college football, which I am no longer passionate about but at which I’m still competent at predicting outcomes. The top ten finishers are due prizes. At the end of the regular season, I was fifth. I almost blew it selecting bowl games, which have bedeviled me the past three years. Wanting to vault into first place, I picked a lot of games. Fortunately, I finished tenth, so I’m due a little something. I do well in soccer, which is the sport I know the least about, and I’m currently doing well in the NBA, which is not my strong suit. When it comes to golf, which I follow more closely than other sports these days, I don’t even crack the top 25. Go figure.

The floating book shop had more good luck today. A woman donated a bag of paperbacks that included 21 Harlequin romances. I immediately thought: Now if only the lady who loves them (who I hadn't seen in months) shows up. Sure enough, she did, and bought them all. I also sold out my inventory of Russian books. Thanks, folks.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment