Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Writer's Life 9/4 - Odds & Ends

Here's the pic of the day, a dream apartment in St. Louis that has a combined kitchen/bathroom:


Nike has hired Colin Kaepernick as a spokesman. I have at least one item with its logo, a yellow T-shirt. I'm retiring it, turning it into cleaning rags. It will be interesting to see how sales go. Here's how other folks are reacting:


Academic insanity continues. According to the Fast Takes column in today's NY Post, all new faculty applicants to UCLA will have to document their contributions to "equality, diversity and inclusion." I have one thing to say: Document this.

It seems the Decades channel has bitten the dust. In its place is Start. Last night's prime time lineup featured reruns of The Division, a cop show, and Family Law, each dominated by female casts, and The Profiler, which seems to be about a woman with a gift for analysis of criminal behavior. According to the website, it will air the same lineup seven days a week. Unfortunately, the one show on its roster in which I'm interested, Early Edition, will air in off hours. I will miss switching to The Best of Ed Sullivan during ad breaks in whatever else I'm watching.

Conditions were tougher today at the floating book shop but still nothing like last week's brutal heat. My thanks to the sweet elderly woman who bought Sandra Brown's Texas Chase, and to the gentleman who purchased a book in Russian. I had to hold back risqué comments that popped into my adolescent mind during a visit from Nell and Barb, as the conversation turned to the mattresses each recently purchased. It is astonishing how many people, especially women, are living alone in Sheepshead Bay. I can think of five others off the top of my head: three Shelleys, Marie and Eve. All seven are American born. It seems all the Russian-born adults are married. Does this have any meaning? I have no idea, but it is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment