Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Writer's Life 9/23 - Public Opinion

In today's NY Post, Kyle Smith devotes his op-ed piece to the defense of those who are speaking out about the legions of know-it-alls convicting people in the court of public opinion. He dubs them "Twitterati." I don't know if he is the first to use the term. Kudos to whomever came up with it.


Here's something else that can be counted on in life besides death and taxes - politics will always sink lower. It has no bottom.

For the second straight day there has been a first in MLB. Four starting pitchers for the Cleveland Indians, Corey Kluber, Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco and Mike Clevinger, all have at least 200 strike-outs. Kudos. Here they are in the same order:


The season has changed but the foul weather pattern persists. For the past few years I thought forecasting had gotten a lot better. That hasn't been the case lately. The 3-5 day forecasts have been wrong consistently. The chart in today's NY Post called for clouds and sun, temperature 65-71. I doubt it got out of the mid 60's and the sun was obliterated. I was pissed when I heard a radio report this morning calling for sprinkles all day. Until this pattern changes, it seems meteorologists should be playing it safe, saying the chance of precipitation is 50%. They would be right at least half the time.

I put my laundry in the bag, went to the potty for a minute, then hurried to my car without my clean clothes - and didn't realize it for at least an hour, so preoccupied was I about where to set up shop. I'd planned to go to Park Slope for the first time since May. Given the ominous cloud cover, there was no sense going all the way there. And Bay Parkway immediately became out of the question when it began drizzling. So I headed for the neighborhood hoping I'd get parking close enough to haul at least half the wares to my usual nook under the scaffold. Dumb luck was with me. A car pulled out of the most advantageous spot just as I arrived. My thanks to the kind folks who bought books, and to Herbie, who donated a John Wayne pictorial in excellent condition he bought from the local library for a buck, which I'll sell for three. The most satisfying sales came back to back. A young man asked for easy reads to help him improve his English, which was very limited. I helped him pick out three young adult epics. And a thirtyish woman asked the same, and I pointed her to a box that contained romance novels, from which she selected two.

No comments:

Post a Comment