Total Pageviews

Monday, September 10, 2018

The Writer's Life 9/10 - Dreams on & off the Field

I experience periods where dreams are particularly vivid. I had two in the wee hours this morning. In the first I was face down in a narrow space filled with water. I managed to turn and breathe. Applying Freud's belief that dreams are coded wish fulfillment, with which I'm not in one hundred percent agreement, I believe it was telling me to keep battling, especially against the advance of age. The second found me underground, on a bench in the concourse of the old World Trade Center. As I climbed stairs toward my job on the commodity trading floor, where I worked for almost 25 years, I realized I was late, the markets already open. I then was in an office waiting to be reprimanded. I asked myself why I kept working a job I hated. Another employee was present. He took to tapping on the wall of a cubicle and a middle age woman emerged and asked him to stop. I wonder if that part was telling me to stop hitting on women. I'm pretty sure the first part was related to my recent struggles at the floating book shop, where business has been terrible. Maybe it's time to return to my original intent - to try to sell only my own books at a different location each day. Or maybe dreams are just a mix of meaningless mumbo jumbo.

The floating book shop was rained out today. I filled time doing the Sunday crossword and watching NFL highlights at youtube. I've only gotten through half the games. I really enjoyed the Tampa Bay-New Orleans matchup. Veteran backup QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, playing because bonehead Jameis Winston is serving a suspension for sexual harassment, had a phenomenal day, passing for more than 400 yards on only 14 completions. It was bombs away, the Saints secondary MIA. Fitzgerald, 35, Harvard grad, seventh child on the way, had four TD passes. He even ran for a one, lowering his shoulder into a defender and bulling across the goal line. In the same game Saints RB Alvin Kamara, now in his second year, continues to dazzle, his elusiveness uncanny... Tyreek Hill, in his third season for Kansas City, was phenomenal vs. San Diego, catching seven passes for 169 yards, an average of 24.1 per, and two TD's. He also had a 91-yard punt return for another score. He may be the fastest player in the league. Anyone who has bet against the Chargers in the early season the past decade or so must be rich. Moving to L.A. has not changed their bizarre penchant for slow starts.


My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Fortezza/e/B002M4NLJE

No comments:

Post a Comment