Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Writer's Life 9/30 - Lines

I didn't think my contempt for NYC mayor Red Billy de Blasio could increase, but it has. His disdain for drivers other than his chauffeurs was never more prevalent than it was today, at least for me. I hadn't taken the floating book shop to Park Slope, Red's neighborhood, since May. This morning I posted on my Facebook feed that I'd be on 9th St. just below 5th Av. - if things were the same as they were months ago. Who knows, there might have been construction going on, or the Chase bank might have moved something into the indentation at the side of the building, which is perfect for the display. None of that was in play, but there was a big problem. I'd forgotten the newspaper account of the bike lanes being moved curbside. Folks, be aware when stepping into the street there. Fortunately, I was alert when bikers came by. I'll be surprised if a pedestrian isn't T-boned some day. As stupid as that new strategy seems, it's not the worst of it. In the first 100 yards of the block, parking space for at least five cars has been eliminated. Across the street, there is room for only one vehicle on either side of the fire hydrant, or johnny pump as we called it back in the day in our beloved Brooklyn. There used to be room for two, even if one was large. Just as asinine, the first space after Chase's driveway has been lost, replaced by white lines. I pulled in there, put on the blinkers, unloaded the wares, set up the display, then waited for somebody to pull out, nervous about getting a ticket. Fortunately, someone left the spot ahead of the postal delivery truck in the picture below. Since things went relatively well today, I'll give it a shot next Sunday too. I'd hate to abandon that spot. It gets the sun all afternoon, which makes it ideal in winter - and unworkable in summer. Since PS is an ultra-liberal area, I'd guess residents who don't drive approve of the new system. Owners of vehicles must be pissed - as if parking hadn't already been a nightmare there. That's the reason I go there only on Sunday, when folks are most likely to go visiting or on an outing.


My thanks to the two women who bought six works of non-fiction between them that included books on healthy living and Resumes for the over-50 Job Hunter; and to the young man who purchased four novels by Stephen King.

No comments:

Post a Comment