Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Writer's Life 3/15 - The Eyes Have It

How often have leftists said the rich don't pay taxes or don't pay a fair share? Yesterday President Trump released his 2005 return to head off negative publicity from an MSNBC report on two pages of it somehow acquired by a reporter. The documents show Trump earned $153 million and paid $36.5 million in income taxes, roughly a 25% rate, which is about two-percent below what someone in that bracket is charged. I assume deductions lowered it. Anyway, that's not the point. The fact that the government would take so much money from an individual shows who the real villains are. It is Un-American. (Adapted from a NY Post editorial)

I'm not qualified to state which is the best course on health care. From what I've read, the consensus seems to be that Obamacare has been a disaster for everyone but those receiving subsidies and those getting rich rich from it, and this before even more-costly measures have been applied. Democrats and much of the media are screaming about the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate that 24 million Americans will lose health insurance thanks to the GOP-proposed American Health Care Act. Keep in mind that this is the same CBO that said the Affordable Care Act would trim the deficit, which is still in the stratosphere. It also said 24 million people would be enrolled in the exchanges by now. It's actually eleven million. Would the GOP bill be a net positive? I have no idea. I'm skeptical about everything politicians hatch. If enacted, it may be a disaster that becomes another step toward a single-payer system controlled entirely by bureaucrats. Yes, such a system would be Un-American - not to mention mediocre - but America is changing. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any other solution. I would love to see free market principles applied and work magnificently for those able to pay for their own care, and government take care of the rest. Is that moral? Certainly not in the eyes of the left.

I had an eye exam today. I'm at risk for glaucoma, but it probably has been caught soon enough that the condition can be controlled, even improved. It involves pressure behind the eyes. 15-16 is considered normal. Mine is 25-26. The doctor prescribed eye drops I'm to take each night before bed. I observed as he looked over the results of the tests. "I bet the computer saves you a lot of work," I said, as he clicked and scanned. To my surprise, he hates it. He considers himself old school. He has to adhere to what Obamacare requires or pay a fine. That too sounds Un-American.

Although the accumulation was far less than forecast, the frigid temperatures have turned the snow to ice and dashed any hope of a quick melt. Anyone who parked on the right side of the street, where the plows push the snow, and who has not dug out his vehicle, is in for a lot of hard work. Plastic shovels won't cut it. I saw one guy pour a pail of hot water onto the mound blocking his rear tire. At least there was a little sun today, which should go a long way to making driving safer. I'm parked on the left side and don't plan to move my car until Saturday, unless the politicians decide to re-instate the alternate side parking regulation. That's unlikely, but one can never put anything past them.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment