Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Writer's Life 1/23 - White-Out

Charlize Theron moves deftly between commercial and more challenging roles. In 2015 she was the major figure in the wildly successful Mad Max Fury Road, and in the obscure Dark Places, which I viewed last night courtesy of Netflix. It is the story of a survivor looking back, 28 years later, on the murder of her mom and two sisters, which she believes her teenage brother committed. Understandably, the event turned her into an antisocial recluse. With money running out, she accepts an offer from a group of nerds who believe her brother is innocent. There are flashbacks throughout the narrative. Based on a novel by Gillian Flynn, the going is grim but interesting. Unfortunately, several aspects don't make sense. Since there was no close captioning, this may be attributable to points I missed, but contributors to the IMDb commentary section also mentioned confusing issues. The creators deserve credit for presenting an intriguing mystery to unravel and not another trip down slasher lane. Several big and small screen vets are along for the ride: Christina Hendricks, Corey Stoll, Drea de Matteo, and young Chloe Grace Moretz as a femme fatale that is not equal parts attractive and morally reprehensible but thoroughly the latter. The film was directed by Gilles Piquet-Brenner, who adapted the screenplay. His previous seven full length works are unfamiliar to me. As the title suggests, lighting is integral to the proceedings, and it is one of the works strengths. 21,000+ contributors at IMDb have rated Dark Places, forging to a consensus of 6.2 of ten, which seems about right. It runs less than two hours. Anyone seeking action and thrills should pass. It would be of interest largely to the most ardent mystery fans, and to those who wish to see a talented actress at work. I would be remiss in not mentioning that Theron has experienced a similar trial as her character in real life. When she was 15, her mom shot her dad to death. The woman was never charged, the ruling self defense.

The forecast called for the snow to begin in NYC after six AM Saturday. When I went to retrieve my mail just before six PM last evening, it was already coming down, so I expected accumulation to be a lot more than predicted. Two feet is now possible. The record is 26.9 inches set in February 2006. It wouldn't surprise me to see it broken. I went out for the paper and groceries just after six AM and the snow was already deep, more than a foot in some places. Although conditions were as bad as they get, it was not surprising to find the newsstand open. There were a few hardy souls out and about. A huge Coca Cola delivery truck was backing into a port at Stop n Shop as I approached. Inside, there was Adrian, at least 70, at register eleven. Needless to say, she is old school. The phone was ringing constantly while I was there, staff calling that they couldn't make it to work. Fortunately, the wind was at my back on the way home. As I turned onto East 13th for the stretch, I chuckled as I spotted a guy who jogs around the block several times each morning, running along the rut vehicles had made. The going was so strenuous I worked up a sweat. I didn't make my usual weekend excursions to the old house. I'll leave the old Hyundai where it is and dig out gradually during the week. Although the forecast is for lots of sunshine and above freezing temperatures starting tomorrow, there is just too much of the white stuff around for any hopes of a quick melt. Parking will be more problematic than usual for at least a week, which means the floating book shop will be on hiatus indefinitely. I imagine Stephen King gets a lot of writing done up in Maine during winter. I will have the re-working of my first novel to fill time, along with crossword puzzles I've hoarded, and a thriller I'm halfway through. And the computer. I wonder if Wite-out (white-out, get it?) is still on the market. I suppose there are a few hardcore writers who insist on using a typewriter, just as there are folks who prefer vinyl records or video or audio cassettes to digital devices. "That way madness lies," as Shakespeare said in King Lear.

My thanks to the four kind folks who've bought my latest book, Billionths of a Lifetime, at Amazon.

Jeepers, Mr, Kent, look what I found at Staples' website:
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc
Vic's 5th Novel: http://tinyurl.com/okxkwh5Vic's 4th novel: tinyurl.com/bszwlxh
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/k95k3nx
Vic's Short Story Collection: http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tiny.cc/0iHLb Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/kx3d3uf
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tinyurl.com/l84h63j
 

No comments:

Post a Comment