Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/7 - 4 More

The people have spoken, and they are deeply divided. Although I am disappointed with the results, I hope the President’s supporters are imbued with a wisdom beyond my grasp. What satisfaction would it bring to be able to say: “I told you so” should America collapse? I should hope to be proven wrong. Despite a solid campaign, Romney failed to convince enough voters in the swing states that his was a better way. At first, I was skeptical of his candidacy as not being conservative enough. I was won over once his tax returns, charitable contributions and personal history became public. He is a decent man. Enough people are still blaming Bush rather than Obama for the economic malaise. If the economy should turn around in the next four years, Republicans may never regain the White House, at least in my life time. True, Romney garnered half the vote, but that will not hold if things improve. Will they improve with what pundits call Taxmegeddon on the horizon? When Clinton raised taxes, the internet boom saved him. Will a sector take off and mitigate the negative effects of Obama’s tax increases? It will be interesting. I woke up at 3:30, too troubled to sleep. Whenever this happens, I lay down in front of the TV. As I was scanning for something soothing to watch, I came upon the silly spectacle of roller derby, and chuckled, thinking, hoping that it meant everything was right with the world. I hope the silly spectacle of politics will continue to be a mere annoyance and not a danger to America.

I had another, milder disappointment yesterday. WordPress has banned my blog. I tried to look into it but it led nowhere. As far as I can tell, they consider it spam, maybe because I post the same links each day. I will never pretend that it’s main objective is not book promotion, but I almost always include commentary on other books, music, film, life in general and politics. I thank WP for the almost two years they allowed me. The blog did not receive much traffic there, so it was perhaps merely an exercise in futility, as the literary process often seems. Most of my readers follow on blogger.com. One positive aspect of the ban is that posting will be 25% less tedious. Life often forces us to adapt, as the past two weeks have so vividly manifested.

A nor-easter will keep the floating book shop on the shelf today and probably tomorrow, but the news isn’t all gloomy. I’ve found a new source of inspiration - Blayne Barber, a pro golfer trying to earn a PGA tour card. Golf is often called “the great game of honor,” and Barber proved it again. In a recent qualifying tournament, he assessed himself a one shot penalty for an infraction involving a leaf in a sand trap. He still managed to qualify by five shots. Days later, while speaking to an ex-college teammate, he learned the penalty should have been two shots. He was unable to live with the knowledge, prayed for guidance, and came clean, which resulted in disqualification. He will have to play on the minor tour next season and hope he does well enough to rise to the big leagues. He is an example to all. Kudos, young man.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment