Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/6 - Duty

I was out the door just after 6AM. As I anticipated, the voting place was chaos. It’s never smooth under optimum conditions, so it only stood to reason that it would be a mess in the wake of the storm. I waited a half hour, then was sent to the wrong table. Fortunately, when I finally found the right station, my name was in the book. It seems it isn’t every other time. I recognized the faces of many of the staff, people who regularly pass the floating book shop. Two live in the same building as me, as does Mike, who was late for work and decided to return later. Marie, who has donated so many Cds to me and has purchased three copies of A Hitch in Twilight, was assigned as a door monitor. I filled out a paper ballot that was fed into a scanner, a far superior method than the clunky old booths. I sense that Romney will win the popular vote, but Obama will win the electoral count. The President’s support has dwindled in the states he carried last time, but, if the polls are correct, he will still carry them. I expect Republicans to retain the majority in the House of Representatives and to narrow the gap in the Senate. I voted Republican straight down the line. I don’t think the country can prosper with so many people receiving some form of government assistance. So much of those funds are lost to fraud, slimes gaming the system. It is sickening to hear how many dirt bags are taking food and clothing meant for the real victims of Sandy. I would never say that no one should receive help, but everyone who applies should be thoroughly vetted, and Democrats believe that asking for proof is demeaning to the needy. That and the salaries and benefits of ever expanding government payrolls are insanity. And I believe we should take advantage of our vast resources, drill more aggressively for oil and natural gas. Democrats oppose all those measures.

Since my friend's car was lost to the water that flooded the streets of Sheepshead Bay, it was up to me to drive to her latest doctor's appointment. The gas lines are still long, astonishing. Fortunately, I won't be driving again until Saturday and should have enough to last into next week, if necessary. While we were having lunch in KFC, which she was visiting for the first time, her son called. He is a security officer in the Coast Guard, stationed in the south. Like many who constantly see threats up close, he is extremely cautious, asking me to not use even his mom's first name in the blog. He has heard about the looting and the approaching nor-easter and scolded her for having left the house. He has become the parent. By the way, I don't know if it was to humor me, but she said she loved the food. What's not to like about fried chicken?  

14-year-old Guan Tianlang has qualified for the Masters by winning an amateur event in China. Damn snot-nosed kid. Who does he think he is?

Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment