Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/1 - Pass

We have electricity but Stop n Shop is shut down until further notice. Fortunately, there’s a convenience store open on Sheepshead Bay Road, so I was able to get milk for my cereal, juice and the newspaper. I realized that Ali Baba’s gyro stand is gone. I assume it was carted off before the storm or I would have spotted it somewhere in my strolls through the area. Most of the traffic lights have been restored. The only problem now, and it’s small to what many people face, is the lack of heat and hot water. I’m wearing several layers in the house, and word is the boiler was damaged and it will be a month before it is replaced. The sun is shining, proving once again that nature is indifferent to human suffering. I’m tempted to open up the floating book shop but fear people will resent it, although life must go on. With cold weather coming, I will begin to lose chances to sell my books on the street, so it’s not easy to pass on the opportunity to make hay while the sun shines. I’ve still to see posts on Facebook from several Staten Islanders. I will check again when I post a link to this blog.

I woke to another vivid dream. I was at some kind of reception where the late Jackie Wilson was headlining. When his classic Workout began, I joined him on the dance floor. Several of my old flames were in attendance, and I tried to impress one in particular. Naturally, like Billy Idol, I was Dancin’ with Myself. I looked around for my sister’s nephew, who did a lot of crazy moves long ago at the sweet sixteen party of my youngest niece. He wasn’t there. I know exactly what triggered the dream, beside the desire to reconnect with lost loves. The song was on a CD I’d burned and played in my car on the way home yesterday. I love these dreams, although I’d hate to think what nightmares this vivid would be like.

With Cablevision down, last night I played one of the music videotapes I made, number XXI, this one circa 1998. There were many highlights, most in the second half, beginning with I’ll Go on Lovin’ You by Alan Jackson on The Tonight Show. Also from Leno, a beautiful spiritual-like song from Emmylou Harris, which I will eventually download, if I can track it down. The B-52’s performed Rock Lobster. The first half seemed a bit flat, but the second really rocked. David Byrne was at his quirky best in a clip from PBS’ Sessions at West 54th, which he eventually became the host of. John Fogerty did a first-rate take on Born on the Bayou in a taped concert also broadcast on PBS. And there were three comedy segments interspersed: Dennis Moore from Monty Python  (“He robs from the poor and gives to the rich - stupid bitch.”); hilarious song parodies from Conan O’Brien and Andy Richter from their first prime time anniversary show, and more musical zaniness from Adam Sandler’s Opera Man, all of which had me LOL. As for the showcase highlight, I choose the marvelous Junior Brown, demonstrating his amazing skills on a hybrid electric/steel guitar, with his wife playing rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bQfZCrhYU Enjoy.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment