Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/13 - Rockin'

The floating book shop was rained out today.

A few days ago I submitted my rock n roll epic, Rising Star, to a new small press publisher. It was returned the next day. The gentleman saw the word count, 194,000, and didn't bother to give it a look. I always imagined it as a mass market paperback. Anyway, I will continue to submit it whenever there is a call for material. I'm waiting for word on the progress of publication of my novel based on my experiences at the Commodity Exchange. I sense it isn't going to happen. Here's an excerpt from Rising Star, Chapter Seven. Each chapter begins with a quote from a rock song. This one is obvious:

7                                                                                 "...Who are you?"*

   She was awakened from a deep slumber by the ringing of the telephone. She staggered out of bed.
   "Where've you been?" said Bonnie. "I've been calling since noon."
   "What time is it?" said Susan, holding her head as she gazed at the clock. "Oh, God, five already. You won't believe it, but I've been here, sleeping."
   "You must've really tied one on."
   "No more than usual. Maybe it's just starting to catch up with me."
   She fell silent.
   "Sue?"
   She shook her head, returning to the present. "Sorry. I was just thinking about something the guitarist said to me last night about getting old too soon. I got the tape. Cost me a couple of hand jobs. He was a character, but a pushover. I was up late breaking it down, taking notes. Thanks for covering for me, by the way."
   "No problem, but be careful. He was pissed that we switched without telling him. I thought he was gonna fire you."
   "Is he on a power trip again? Who cares? Waitress jobs are a dime a dozen. Why should it've made a difference if the spot was filled?"
   "Men. Anyway, I won't be able to cover for you any more."
   "He fired you?"
   "No, I quit. I finally got a part."
   "Really? Great. I'm jealous, you slut. So spreading finally paid off?"
   "I didn't even have to this time. It's strictly legit, network, a new soap. It's not Broadway, but it's a start."
   "So save your money, get some experience, then leave and throw all your time and energy into auditions."
   "I can't believe it. I didn't think I had a chance. I thought my chances were a lot better for that off-Broadway play. They're not even sure what it's going to be called yet. We're all on trial. We might get axed right away if the ratings aren't there. Any character they feel isn't working can go too. I'm really worried about that. I have a small part, and everybody else in the cast is gorgeous."
   "Look at it this way, even if it doesn't work there'll be a lot of agents, producers and directors who'll see you."
   "Stop, you're making me even more nervous than I already am."
   "Why don't we celebrate? Mind coming to Brooklyn for a while? We can hit an after-hours place later."
   "I'm definitely in the mood to party. Who knows, this may be my last serious bender."
   There were tears in Susan's eyes as she hung up. Bonnie's success made her own failure seem greater. She did not understand how Bonnie could have beaten her. In high school and college she'd done half the work Bonnie had and still achieved higher grades. And now that she was working as hard, if not harder than her friend, she'd fallen behind. She questioned her ability to assess talent, as she'd never expected Bonnie to make it. Bonnie would not have been accepted to the drama school had not her father pulled so many strings.
   She studied the videotape once more. Despite the stationary camera and the confinement of the small stage, the band came across well. The joy of performing was in each man's face. Even Mike, after a shaky start, was at ease before the friendly crowd. She wondered how she might help him maintain such poise before a neutral audience. She was certain he would crumble before a hostile one.
   She hit the rewind and pause buttons constantly, jotting notes. She was surprised at Paul's skill and Richie's confidence. She'd expected Mitchell to be good and Mike to be weak, but she was encouraged that the others were far more talented than she'd thought. She wondered if she were deluding herself.
   The doorbell rang. Susan spoke into the intercom to make sure it was Bonnie, then pressed the buzzer, releasing the lock of the lobby door. She met her in the hall and threw her arms around her. Bonnie was toting her VCR in a large shopping bag.
   "I could kill you," said Susan. "I'm so jealous." She broke away and stepped into the apartment. "You're late. I was afraid you'd gotten mugged."
   "I didn't think you'd be ready so early."
   "Actually I'm not. I'll just go as I am. I have no reason to doll up. Sorry I've been so forgetful lately."
   Bonnie smiled. "You're melting your mind away."
   "I've decided to quit, at least unless it's absolutely necessary in the line of business. I haven't done any coke all day. Of course, I've been asleep through most of it."
   "Can your resolution wait until tomorrow? I was planning on getting my last binge in tonight."
   "I can't see why not."
 
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment