Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/8 - Ship

In a classic episode of The Honeymooners, Ralph brings home a suitcase he found abandoned on his bus. To his astonishment, it is filled with money -- "hummina, hummina." He immediately thinks he has struck it rich. Alice, ever level-headed, tries to talk him down, which frustrates him. He bellows something like: "For years you've been sayin': 'When is my ship comin' in, when is my ship comin'?' Well, here it is, the Queen Mary." I sort of asked myself that this past week, as the rain and paltry street sales combined to disappoint me. Well, the ship came in last night. Maybe it was just a dinghy, not an ocean liner, by real world standards, but it was big in a struggling artist's life. A week ago I mailed a copy of Adjustments to Marilena, Lafayette High School class of 1977, who I met on Facebook. A decade earlier, her dad was one of my teachers. Well, she ordered four more copies for friends. I gave them to her last night at L&B Spumoni Gardens, where she was among a gathering of friends and relatives. And she wouldn't accept the 20% discount I offered, which goes a long way toward helping me recoup the money I invested in 200 copies, and possibly turning a profit, which means a lot to a Sicilian. I have 79 copies left, so whether the novel will be profitable or not is still a long way from being decided.  Most of those copies will go for ten dollars. Par was originally twelve. It is less than ten now due to the generosity of the public, but the remainder still has to be sold. Special thanks, Marilena.

As I was driving to my sister's this morning at 9:30, it started to pour. I assumed the severe storm that had been predicted had arrived early and that the floating book shop would not open. To my surprise, the sun was out an hour and a half later. I set up shop at Bay Parkway and 85th, hoping the weather would hold for a couple of hours. It did. The strong wind even negated the humidity to a large degree. I thank Jack and Bad News Billy, two of my most faithful customers, and a Russian gentleman, who relieved me of a lot of book weight for the long trek back to the car. As I returned to Sheepshead Bay, there were a lot of open parking spots beneath trees. I resisted the temptation and settled for one out of danger on East 13th between Avenue Y & X. As I approached the building, I noticed flashing lights between Avenue Z & Shore Parkway, where a tree had toppled just yards from where I set up shop most days. Right now it's eerily dark and there is a tornado watch in effect for the entire metropolitan area, including NYC, a rare occurrence and more ammunition for climate change alarmists.

My oldest niece, Isabel, was in the basement this morning when I went down to do my laundry. She'd recently downloaded and read my screenplay, All Hallows. She had fun imagining actors filling the roles. I'd had Tom Selleck in mind as the Sheriff when I wrote it in the early '90's. Although he still looks great, he would probably be more suited to the role of the retired Sheriff these days. Tempus fugit. Thanks, Is.
Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic’s Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment