Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

Selling My Books on the Street 9/17 - Wheels

A few days ago I submitted a novel, Exchanges, to Wheelman Press. I just received an email asking if it had been published before. I wonder what made them ask. I've posted excerpts months ago and months apart in this blog, but nothing more than that. At least it wasn't an outright rejection. Of course, I want to believe it means the book is being considered seriously. Then I'll have a fifth book that will go largely ignored, although I imagine some former co-workers would be interested in reading it. It's not assured, though. I've seen that with my second novel, Adjustments, which many of my teammates and classmates at Lafayette H.S. have yet to order, and with Killing, whose cover, which depicts 18th Avenue aka Cristoforo Columbo Boulevard in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, has not drawn the attention I'd anticipated from the area's residents. I'm also a bit surprised the people at Wheelman have said nothing about the profanity and behavior prevalent in the novel. Those who worked on the trading floor, including yours truly, occasionally behaved despicably. I remember yelling cusses at the top of my lungs at a trader who was constantly having fraudulent prints entered into the system, screwing us up regularly. I was just a lowly data entry person, titled "reporter" at the Exchange. It was not my place to chastise anyone. It was a miracle I wasn't fired. I guess my overall reputation saved me. Few of the floor personnel who worked there for any length of time left without ever having a blow up. It was a great place to study human behavior and a great setting for a novel. I am so curious as to how Exchange vets would view it. I'd guess many traders would find it lacking, as it concentrates on overall behavior rather than the buying and selling of commodities. It was a great experience, and helped me to overcome my fear of the real world. I would not, however, return to it if electronic trading were suddenly banned and open outcry restored. I'd had enough by the time I got the boot.

It was a frustrating session at the floating book shop. I had two choices where to set up: Park Slope or the aforementioned 18th Avenue. I made the wrong one. Con Ed had placed a number of cones along 18th Avenue before a playground, taking up about five parking spots. I drove around like an idiot for a half hour but couldn't find a spot within a reasonable distance to haul all my wares, so for the second straight day I brought out only my books. I attracted some stares but only one comment, and that in passing by a young man. The sense of futility was stark. It looks like I'll get a day off tomorrow, as the forecast is for rain, bringing an end to a long run of spectacular weather.

Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic’s Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment