Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/27 - Pact

Jodi Picoult has been writing since the age of five. There are 14 million of her books in print. She did a brief stint for Wonder Woman comics. Five of her novels have been adapted to the screen, four by the Lifetime network, including The Pact, which I just finished. As the title suggests, the theme is suicide, in this case teenage. The action alternates between Then and Now. The characters are realistically portrayed. The psychological effects on the parents are spot on, the strength of the narrative. I was not satisfied with that of the girl who decides to end her life. Then again, the tragedy of teen suicide is not uncommon and often comes as a complete mystery to survivors. I will not rate the book, as the theme has never worked for me in film or literature. It does work for many. The Pact is on the reading list at many high schools. The prose and dialogue are solid. I found some of the metaphors obscure, but that may reflect my own ignorance. There was more than one paragraph that confused me initially, beginning with a character speaking, followed by the thoughts of another, and ending with the first speaking again. I also spotted more little errors than usual in a popular book. It was a bit longer than necessary. The defense attorney's teenage son could have been dropped entirely without damage to the story, although I realize it was an attempt at a parallel with the main characters. I hated the ending, completely disagreeing with the jury's verdict. Still, a writer who would tackle such a subject should be commended. It is refreshingly serious work.

Rest in Peace Andy Williams, 84. His beautiful voice graced television, radio and films. He was the epitome of decency. Here’s the song list from his greatest hits compilation:
Born Free
Days of Wine and Roses
Moon River
Dear Heart
Hawaiian Wedding Song
More
Almost There
Charade
Happy Heart
Can't Get Used to Losing You  (My favorite)
May Each Day

Well done, sir. Thank you.

There wasn't much action at the floating book shop today. I sold only one book, a Reader's Digest four in one of abridged novels. Thanks, ma'am.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment