Total Pageviews

Friday, September 7, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/7 - Pizza

Last night I watched another of the music videotapes I made, this one circa 1997. It was even more eclectic than usual. There were tracks by mainstream artist such as The Boss, Billy Joel, Bonnie Raitt (with Ruth Brown) and Metallica, but the rest was from the fringes or breakout acts. Roland Olazabal, after his split from Tears for Fears, did a wonderful vocal on the unusual Raul and the Kings of Spain, which I culled from a PBS show I do not recall the title of -- Ra-ool! There was also a two-song segue into the Afro-Cuban Jovenes Del Barrio, featuring a vocalist named Gillian, who looked Irish but whose Spanish sounded flawless. I’m not crazy about that sound, which substitutes violin and flute for brass. It doesn’t go deep enough for my ear, if that makes any sense. Legendary Jazz saxophonist Joe Henderson did George and Ira Gershwin’s I Love You Porgy, accompanied by an acoustic guitarist. Again, to my ear, the pairing did not fit. The tape picked up steam with bluesman Coco Montoya, a heavyset left-handed guitarist howlin‘ out Dyin‘ Flu, and playing beautifully. Jane’s Addiction did the infectious Jane Says on SNL. Either Perry Farrell was not in top voice or the music simply overpowered him. His hair was styled in silly, colorful spikes. The last hour of the tape was strong, starting with three numbers from Yanni. I remember how I scoffed when I landed on the PBS airing of the concert at the Taj Mahal. I expected New Age drivel. I was blown away. I was especially taken by the joy of performing demonstrated by the orchestra and singers, particularly on the rousing Love Is All. For years I’d heard Leo Kottke’s name in advertisements on local radio for NYC performances at venues such as the Bottom Line. The producers of PBS’ Sessions at West 54th Street had the good sense to feature him. The guy is so talented at times it seemed two guitars were playing. He plays an acoustic with the ease of the masters of electric. The tape concluded with two breakout artists: bluesman Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Chumbawumba. The Shepherd track was routine, though his talent is obvious. Chumbawumba burst onto the music scene with the rollicking Tubthumping, irresistible despite being an ode to questionable behavior. It has two great lyrical hooks: “I get knocked down, but I get up again” and “Pissing the night away.” As for a highlight, I’ll go with Mr. Kottke playing Deep River Blues: “My ol’ gal is a good ol’ gal, but she looks like a water fowl.” Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKb-FBsGLH4

Suddenly, selling books on the street has become very tough, and it's not for lack of beautiful wares. I thank the young woman who purchased a children's book, and Eugene and the Russian gentleman for the donations. I'm so over-stocked I had to turn down Abdul the Friendly Porter's offer. I hope the weight isn't damaging my car.

I'm off to the Spumoni Gardens, hoping to meet a Facebook friend and sell copies of my own books. It seems too good, too easy to be true. What's the worst that can happen? I'll have a couple of their famous squares while I'm there. Friday is pizza night, anyway.

Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h

No comments:

Post a Comment