Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/9


The above are The Cleveland Five, members of Ohio's Occupy Wall Street movement, who didn't think enough was being done, so they decided to blow up a bridge. Fortunately, they proved incompetent at detonating the explosive devices they used. I guess they should've used the new underwear bomb Al Qaeda has developed. Rich Lowry's op-ed piece, syndicated in today's NY Post, focused on the creeps, the only information I've seen on this troubling story. I wonder how much press coverage this would be getting if the felons were right-wingers. Here's a picture of the bridge they tried to take down:

RIP Maurice Sendak, 83, a superb illustrator who has had more than 50 children's books published. Like me, he was born in Bensonhurst and is a graduate of Lafayette H.S.. Unlike me, his books have sold in the millions. His most loved, Where the Wild Things Are, has sold 17 million copies. He makes all alums (Redmen) proud. Well done, sir.


I got lucky today in more ways than one. I accompanied a handicapped woman to the dentist, earning money I wouldn't have made at the floating book shop, given the rain. I also ran into Maria, who was scheduled for a tooth extraction. She has finally moved from the house she lived in for 22 years. She avoided foreclosure but had to sell at a far lower price than she would have liked. Still, she doesn't owe any money. She has moved to an apartment in Bensonhurst, a few blocks from where I set up shop on weekends. She promised to visit and purchase Killing. She has read both Close to the Edge and A Hitch in Twilight. Also, she ran into an old-timer who once was the super of the building next door to her house. His daughter used to babysit her daughter. Small world indeed.

Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment