Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/8

As I was walking to my car, six Russian books in tow, I noticed that Roberto and Luis were working in the garden that surrounds the building where I usually set up the floating book shop. I decided not to get in their way, especially since the forecast called for rain, so I dropped my wares directly from my trunk to the curb. The results were good. Kayla, attractive, 30-something, bought A Hitch in Twilight. She'd just been picking flowers, at least the purple bulbs. I also sold three of those Russian books. And a woman purchased several children's books. Thanks, folks.

Joan, who uses a walker, stopped by and asked if I'd be interested in taking her to the cemetery in Staten Island where her parents are buried. I won't decide until she comes up with what she thinks will be a fair fee. Heck, these days a full tank of gas might be enough. The toll alone is $13. I'd do it if she bought all four of my books. She is an avid reader who has balked at the ten dollar price tag for my works. Rather than purchase A Hitch in Twilight, she will be borrowing it when Marie, who lives in the same building, is done reading her copy.
Later, one of the porters stopped by and asked if I was interested in encyclopedias. He purchased a set in 1995 for $2500. Of course, they have sort of been made obsolete by PCs. I suggested he put a message on the bulletin board. The building is huge. I'd bet somebody would want them. He may even be offered a token sum. As hard as it is to believe, some people want nothing to do with computers. A few have yet to convert to CDs or DVDs. Some cling to vinyl records, which astounds me. My literary quest would be nowhere without a computer.
Facebook has changed its look. I needed a picture for my personal page and chose the following, which I believe captures the essence of growing up in Brooklyn, at least for me, second from left bottom row.Click to enlarge.

Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic. And kudos on selling your books on the streets of Brooklyn, too. ;-)

    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete