Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/29

My favorite part of the NFL draft is seeing which player is selected last, dubbed Mr. Irrelevant by the press. This year there were 253 picks, and the honor of last man standing went to Chandler Harnish, a QB out of Northern Illinois. He should not fret. Two recent Mr. I's have done well in pro ball. David Vobora has played four years for two different teams, mostly as a member of special teams, and Ryan Succop has been the Chiefs' field goal kicker, making an impressive 81% of his attempts. I guess I relate to them so well because I'm close to being the Mr. Irrelevant of writers.
I reached a milestone of sorts today. I've always been intrigued by stats. Each year I eagerly awaited for my buddy Bags to finish reading his copy of Bill James' late, lamented Baseball Abstract. I was and am still a believer in Sabermetrics, although it is not perfect, of course. I would record my personal softball statistics, although there were times I wished I hadn't, so embarrassing were they. I'd record those of the teams I managed too. I keep close track of book sales, both in overall dollar value and the number of copies sold of my own books. Carmine, a gregarious senior citizen, happened by the floating book shop for the first time in a while today. He was thrilled that I had a new book available, and bought Killing. It was the 600th copy of my four books that I've sold. Carmine recommended A Hitch in Twilight to two people who stopped to see what was what. Alas, they did not bite, but actor-singer extraordinaire Johnny Feets did. He has finally found a roommate to share his Bensonhurst apartment and again has some discretionary income to spend. He purchased Close to the Edge three, perhaps four years ago. Thanks, gentlemen, and also to the other kind folks who purchased books.
Here's how the tally breaks down: Close to the Edge - 348; A Hitch in Twilight - 116; Adjustments - 114; Killing - 23. This does not include the three recent web sales of Killing, for which I have yet to be paid. Crazy, I know. Maybe I am the Mr. Irrelevant of authors. Be that as it may - on to 700!
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment