Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/14

As I was trolling my Facebook page this morning, I came across a quote of crystalline logic posted by a former gold trader on the NYMEX trading floor. Here it is:
 "Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen." - Ben Stein
Thanks, Frankie.
Here's an excerpt from a short story, Matthew's Sins, that was published 20 years ago:

 Matthew dreamed he was floating, no longer burdened by aged, arthritic limbs and joints. Although he was amongst clouds, unable to see the heavens or earth, he was unafraid, smiling. Here, drifting like a kite that had broken from its string, he did not feel lonely, isolated though he was. He was like a child at play, chuckling. He lent no resistance, allowing the mysterious force that had seized him to take him wherever it wished. It was infinitely better than what he'd had. In fact, he hoped he would never awaken.
   He spied a huge golden gate in the distance. His pace slowed. Soon he was hanging suspended in the air. He gazed about, wondering how this was possible. He was unable to see beyond the gate, as the clouds were thick, a vivid, snowy white.
   "Am I dead?" he mused aloud.
   "Yes," a deep, solemn voice replied.
   He started. He was unable to spot the speaker. Unsure of himself, he remained silent.
   "Are you afraid, Matthew?"
   He weighed his response. "Of death, no." His tone was measured, reverent. "It was time. I'd outlived my usefulness long ago. Luckily, I never became a burden to anyone but myself. I've always been lucky, matter of fact. I even died in my sleep, didn't I? I'm not sure I deserved that."
   "Of what are you afraid, then?"
   "Judgment. I'd come to believe there was nothing beyond the life of the body. It seemed illogical to believe otherwise, and I was probably too determined to live logically."
   "Why are you afraid of judgment? Didn't you exercise it yourself as a mortal?"
   "I guess that's precisely why," he said glumly. "I was often wrong."
   "And now the shoe's on the other foot?"
  He nodded. "I was also taught, long ago, that those who did not believe would be condemned."
   "Even those who lived righteously?"
   Matthew hesitated. "I'm afraid I fail on both counts."
   "You have many sins?"
   "Too many to mention, most of them petty, though, but I'll leave that to you to judge."
   "Murder?"
   "No," said Matthew, aghast.
   "Assault?"
   "No, though I did get into some scrapes in my youth. I don't recall having instigated any, though, but I still should've walked away from them."
   "Theft?"
   "Yes," said Matthew despondently, "and cheating, although I think I lived pretty honorably in these regards. Friends were always poking fun at me for being so straight."
   "Rape?"
   "No!" He was appalled, then thought a moment. "I did behave despicably with that one girl spring semester, though. I can't, for the life of me, remember her name, which, I suppose, is a sin in itself...."

My thanks to the young moms who purchased books and videos today on Bay Parkway, and to Jack, who donated a bunch of books. He has been smoke-free for three months. Of course, life being life, he is experiencing allergies for the first time and using Claritin, "substituting one poison for another." It's always something.
Read Vic's stories, including the rest of Matthew's Sins, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment