Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/11

Whew! Charles Manson has been denied parole for the twelfth time. Had me worried for a while.
I read an interesting tidbit about Masters champion Bubba Watson. He claims to have never taken a golf lesson. At least we have one thing in common. His dream was to play in the NBA. I'd say he found a better one. A basketball championship is shared with players and coaches. The coveted Green Jacket is his alone.

Jack stopped by the floating book shop today. He had a bit of trouble yesterday in Union Square Park. As he was setting up his Occupy Wall Street T-shirt and button concession, he was approached by a Parks Department Officer, who asked to see a vending license. Of course, Jack being Jack, he doesn't have one. He told the guy to take a hike. A while later the guy returned with other Parks Department Officers and two cops. Jack, surrounded by 100 of his OWS brethren, tried to talk his way out of a summons by splitting hairs, saying he doesn't sell the stuff, he merely accepts donations to the cause and thanks people by giving them his wares. His fine is $250 if he pleads no contest and settles by mail. It would be $1000 were he to take his case to court and lose. Instinct tells me he will ignore it. I sensed he wasn't telling me the whole story, as his buddy was fined only $25. If any authority figure tells me to leave a particular place, I go. Technically, I'm supposed to have some sort of permit and use a table to display my wares, so I'm not about to argue myself into trouble, even though printed material, music, art and photography are first amendment privileges and permissible on most sidewalks. I just set up elsewhere. Jack's story may have a happy ending. A guy claiming to be a radio talk show host gave him a business card. The guy claims to be writing a book about the OWS movement. Jack is the type of character who would enliven any show.
It was a frustrating day. Many passersby are taking a look at the Russian books I spread along the ledge of the garden that surrounds the building where I set up shop, but no one is buying. I've had the same ones for about a week now. They seem to have a fantastic element that is not appealing, especially to women. Since alternate side parking regulations are suspended for the Orthodox Holy Thursday and Good Friday, I will take my madness on the road the next two days and, hopefully, change my luck.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

2 comments:

  1. Interesting day, Vic. I find that I can't really set up anywhere in my town. TYhere's a cop anywhere more than ten people congregate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SB: Thanks for reading. You should look into it. You may have to get a permit. It's not considered any different than when people hand out political fliers. There would probably be restrictions where you can set up, though. Best of luck.
    Vic

    ReplyDelete