Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/13

Friday the 13th proved lucky for the floating bookshop. I took the show to Park Slope, which surveys cite as the most literate neighborhood in Brooklyn. One guy in particular lived up to that assessment, buying a book on string theory, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. I'm in awe of people who understand that stuff. I tried to read Stephen Hawking's book, which is supposed to be easy, and couldn't make sense of it. Another gentleman purchased John Steinbeck's classic, Of Mice and Men. A woman bought three Debbie Macomber novels. And then Ruth happened along, cane in hand, and noticed the sign I was wearing around my neck: Brooklyn Author, Check Out My Books. She has relocated to San Francisco and happened to be home on family business. She bought A Hitch in Twilight. She, too, was a big fan of The Twilight Zone while growing up.
Thanks, folks.
The returns are in - the Obamas paid a lower tax rate than the White House secretary. Anyone surprised? Do as I say, not as I do is the first law of politics.
Last night I watched another of the music tapes I made many years ago, this one in 1992. It began with several black and white clips of Elvis' early appearances on TV shows, which I culled from a special narrated by Priscilla. Those were his best days by far. Anyone who thinks the Vegas years were his best is in severe need of therapy. Also on the tape was Cracker's first appearance on Letterman, doing their breakout hit, What the World Needs Now, an anti-intellectual anthem that has very intelligent lyrics: "What the world needs now is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head." And: "What the world needs now is a new Frank Sinatra so I can get you in bed." House guitarist Sid McGuiness contributes a rip-roaring lead at the end of the song. Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.co/watch?v=HlrliWrb-HY
Enjoy.
Read Vic's stories, free:  http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment