Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Writer's Life 2/28 - A Prodigy, A Sensation, A House & Forteans


Struggling artists may not want to read this. The photo above is of two-year-old prodigy Lola June. Still in diapers, 37 of her works were exhibited at the Chashama gallery in Union Square. Twelve have sold, priced between $300 and $1600. She treats the paintings like her friends, kissing them when she wakes in the morning. She became distressed when they were taken for the exhibition but has recovered. Here are examples:


What was the top selling book in New York in 2018? Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the second of the series. In Jersey it was the last, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. A decade after their debut, J.K. Rowlings' creations show signs of permanent staying power. Kudos.

A Las Vegas bomb shelter, built by an entrepreneur in the '70's, is on sale, asking price $18 million. Completely underground, it has a pool, spa, trees, guest house, BBQ and fountain. There are plenty of pics online. Here's one of the exterior:


I'm reading a collection of newspaper articles I will blog about when I'm done. In one piece I learned about Charles Hoy Fort, who passed away in 1932 at 57.  An American writer and researcher, he specialized in anomalous phenomena. I don't recall if Fox Mulder mentioned him in The X-Files, and a search of that turned up nothing, which was surprising. Admirers refer to themselves as "Forteans." His books, all but one non-fiction, sold well and are still in print. The Book of the Damned (1919) influenced numerous science fiction writers. I hope a copy comes my way. According to the beliefs of the author I'm reading, such wishes have a way of coming true, and are part of the mystery of life, phenomena that should simply be accepted, not analyzed to death. There is an instance of it in my latest novel, Inside Out.

Yesterday my constant benefactress was surprised to find me selling books in the cold. I hadn't seen her in months. She asked if I'd be back today. I said yes, although I do not like to make a decision on location until the last moment this time of year. Of course, she didn't show, perhaps assuming I wouldn't be out in such cold. I regretted not having gone to Bay Parkway, where I would've stood in the sun and had the option of sitting in my car to warm up. Fortunately, it was one of those sessions when weather did not hamper sales. My thanks to Shelley, who bought six kids books for her three-year-old niece; and to the woman who purchased books on Zen gardening and cabinet making; and to the elderly Latina, who selected Hot Pursuit by Julie Ann Walker; and to the woman who hustled to the bank, returned and bought five books in Russian as I was closing shop. I also had visits from Nell, Marie and the Latina with bewitching eyes.
My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Fortezza/e/B002M4NLJE

No comments:

Post a Comment