Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Writer's Life 2/19 - Around the Horn

OMG - I owe Al Sharpton an apology! Yesterday I said he would probably come up with a Tawana Brawley-type defense regarding the actor who fabricated a bias attack against himself. The lifelong racial hustler said the guy, if lying, should have the book thrown at him. Has the rev got religion?

Kudos to CBS correspondent Lara Logan, who has spoken out against the bias of the mainstream media, which will not sit well with her peers. Here's the main quote: “I mean, you read one story or another and hear it and it’s all based on one anonymous administration official, former administration official. That’s not journalism. That’s horsehit. Sorry. That is absolute horseshit.” If she is blackballed by the MM, I hope Fox News hires her. And here she is:


A old friend sent me a private message last night on Facebook about the list of priests accused of being sex offenders. On it are Father Reilly and Father Tahaney of St. Mary's, where I went to elementary school. I don't recall the former. I'm shocked at the inclusion of the latter. I never saw any evidence or heard any rumors of it. I didn't like the way he bullied people into singing or responding to commands at masses served by his peers, so I kept my distance from him and tried to avoid him at confession, which wasn't always possible. Back then I dubbed my proclivity for masturbation as "sins of impurity." If the accusations are true, I'm surprised he never followed up, which leaves me torn between laughter and the creeps. I'm glad I was deemed too dumb to be an altar boy.

I've read that the creators of NBC's Manifest are expecting a six-year run. That tells me the plot will move at a snail's pace, and it won't hurt to skip an episode here and there.

RIP George Mendonsa, 95, whose impulsive action led to one of the greatest photos of all time:


It was a glorious winter day. I basked in the sunshine on Bay Parkway, waiting for customers to come along. My thanks to the Asian woman who donated a wheeled basket of her daughter's college books, and to Mr. Conspiracy, who dispatched his Mrs. to deliver a bag of non-fiction. That gave me plenty to do, as I incorporated the most marketable stuff into the display. My thanks also to the young man who bought Cell and Different Seasons, both by Stephen King; and to the other who purchased a huge tome on business and one public speaking; and to the elderly gentleman who selected a beautifully illustrated pictorial on Asian art; and to the guy who chose two sci-fi paperbacks. Here's a pic of the basket, which the woman allowed me to keep. It may come in handy in the hauling of the wares:


No comments:

Post a Comment