Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Writer's Life 8/7 - A Fly & a Forgery

There are a couple of amusing gems in today's NY Post. Its Weird But True column includes a blurb about a German group of 20 setting up a 600,000 tile domino display. The work was near completion when a fly triggered a premature chain reaction, scuttling what would have set a new standard in the Guinness Book of Records... The second item appeared in a two-page spread about the divorce of a mega-wealthy California couple who own multiple properties. It is alleged the wife stole a Picasso painting, Le Repos, from the husband and - get this - replaced it with a forgery she'd painted herself. Here are related pics:



Now 68, mortality is an issue that moves more to the forefront each day. Although I'm blessed with good health, I decided to do a will. I heard a radio ad for legalzoom.com, which allows "writing" the document online, which means not having to visit a shyster. I'd assigned beneficiaries to my retirement and bank accounts months ago, but I also have the co-op but little else beyond items of sentimental value. I chose cremation and would like my ashes scattered in the garden of our old house - if it's still in our possession when I shuffle off this mortal coil. If not, anywhere else will do. Since I don't have a printer and didn't want to have the info sent to a relative who does, I decided to have the company mail the paperwork to me. That required an additional charge. The package came to less than $80. It took less than 15 minutes to complete the info. It seems a good option for those whose assets are simple. Hopefully it's not one of those things that seems too good to be true.

Yesterday a Facebook friend asked those who support Trump to un-friend him, accusing him and, by association, his supporters of treason. I replied: "Still support him. Do as you wish." No doubt the outburst stemmed from the recycling of an item at least a year old - that Trump's camp took an interview with someone who promised dirt on Hillary. Nothing came of that. And even if dirt had been uncovered - so what? It's part of what political operations do. I may be dense or blinded by my support of Trump, but why aren't Hillary and the DNC being investigated for purchasing the phony dossier on Trump and using it to maximum effect? Why isn't John Podesta, who did business with Paul Manafort, not on trial too? Why was the Obama administration given a pass by the media on allowing the sale of uranium to Russia? According to current polling, it looks like the Dems won't have to answer for any of this after the November elections. I try to take the views of right wing talk show hosts with a grain of salt, but their declaration that leftists are foisting Hillary's crimes on Trump does not seem far-fetched. I would congratulate them on smart strategy if the mainstream media wasn't complicit, making it so easy.

My thanks to the kind folks who bought books and CD's on this sweltering day. Special thanks to my Tuesday benefactress, who donated about 20 books, every one of them valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment