Total Pageviews

Monday, February 5, 2018

The Writer's Life 2/5 - Man of the Hour

I was sure the Eagles would lose by one point when they tried to make up for a missed extra point by running a two-point conversion - in the first quarter. I've always believed in kicking the extra point unless circumstances dictated otherwise late in a game. I was surprised the two Eagles touchdowns that came under intense review were not reversed. It was refreshing to see the Patriots on the short end of questionable calls for a change. Uncharacteristically, they botched an extra point and a field goal attempt, and Brady, wide open, failed to come up with a clutch catch on that trick play. Then again, he's paid big bucks to pass, not receive. Super Bowl LII was as entertaining as sports gets, especially since New England lost. Kudos to backup QB Nick Foles, who was nearly flawless in victory. Imagine the return the Eagles will now get if they decide to trade him, as the injured Carson Wentz is still their #1 QB. They might be even better next season. As for Tom Brady, he is as good or better than any QB to have ever played - wow! The Patriots will remain the pre-season favorite if he returns next year. Gisele wants him to retire. Who can blame her? What else does her husband have left to accomplish? Why risk injury? As for the other aspects of the broadcast, I did not pay attention to the ads or the half time show, as I was schmoozing with my friends, who these days I see only once a year. My thanks to Adam and Sharon for a great night. I did not overeat, but I did have three cookies and a whole bunch of chips and dip. Here's the man of the hour and his princess:


Looks like the stock market correction is finally here. I've continued selling my individual stocks. On Saturday I placed an order to sell my 300 shares of Bank of America, which I bought halfway through the financial crisis of 2007. It took a long time to show a decent profit, $500-$700 depending on when the trade was executed on this volatile day. It opened at $31.12, went as low as $29.15, and closed at $30.26. I regret not having sold G.E. years ago. I should have known it would be a big loser, as management backed many of Obama's initiatives, including the abominable ACA. As Mrs. Gump said: "Stupid is as stupid does."

My thanks to the woman who bought a literary anthology, and to the young man who purchased Shame by Salman Rushdie, Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf, Life Inside: A Memoir by Mindy Lewis, and vinyl records by Peter, Paul and Mary, Donovan and Tennessee Ernie Ford. The most interesting sale of the session was to a woman who once worked at and for the Commodity Exchange. She was young and beautiful then. In her forties now, she's still very attractive. Although she'd passed the floating book shop many times, she'd never acknowledged me. We'd never spoken, so I didn't resent it, and I'm certain she wasn't being snobbish. Today she doubled back when she spotted a Derek Jeter bio, which she bought for her son. Oddly, a half-hour before she arrived I'd wondered where it'd gone. I opened the trunk of the old Hyundai and found it in a tray where I keep car fluids, then displayed it prominently. Funny how things like that happen. I was hoping she would ask about Exchanges. If she noticed it, she said nothing. C'est la vie.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment