Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 7/1 - Stupidity

Most of us suffer our own stupidity occasionally. Yesterday I stood in the sun for three hours and had some modest book sales in Park Slope. It was only in the 80’s, but I’m no longer young. I was tired. I was thinking about how great the bottle of seltzer I had waiting for me at home would taste. A few weeks ago I found a short cut on the return trip which saved a couple of minutes and avoided the first of two tricky turning areas. This time the street was closed off. I kept turning and eventually found myself with no choice but to go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I had to pay a $7.50 toll, making the day a financial loss, and it took me more than an hour to get home. There was a silver lining -- a decent parking spot to set up the rest of the week’s business. And since there would be no alternate side regulation on the Fourth of July, I wouldn’t have to move until Saturday. The space was large, but I was so bushed and pissed I had to stop and start again. When I shut off the engine, a middle aged man appeared. He has a sporty BMW and always takes up extra space to keep others from bumping it while parking. I hadn’t even noticed it was his car, which I didn’t touch. Had I realized it, I might have move back a bit more. Generally, I leave two feet between my car and the one in front of me. I try to take up the least space possible, knowing how scarce it is on Brooklyn streets. Although there was three feet between his car and the one in front of his, he asked me to move back. I walked away, pointing out that he had five feet to maneuver. He said: “Always an attitude… I wish I had an old car… I’ll kick your ass.” I was tempted to excoriate him for his selfish parking habits, but resisted, knowing it would be an exercise in futility. Now I wonder if there will be consequences -- vandalism, a challenge to fight. I checked on my Hyundai this morning. It was unblemished. I worry that a fight will cost my most convenient book shop location. I’ve built up a lot of good will on that corner. Whenever a manager of the building has questioned my presence, the super and porter have gone to bat for me. I’m lucky to be able to set up shop there. Although it wouldn’t be a big hardship to lose that nook, I would like to stay until someone in authority tells me to go. The biggest advantage of being there is psychological. The income is usually paltry, but it at least lessens the frustration of not selling any of my own works. And scores of people greet me every day. I look forward to speaking to them, however brief the conversation. I didn’t sleep well last night, so the guy won by TKO, although I wonder if he sleeps at all given his obsession with the car. Sometimes stupidity rules the day.

Fortunately, there wasn't any fallout, at least for now. The guy passed without a word. Tobacco seems another of his obsessions. I don't think I've ever seen him not smoking. Maybe his wife doesn't let him smoke in the house. I suspect they have another car, which is parked in a garage. Maybe they can't afford to house the BMW too. Anyway, the floating book shop got back on track today. A young man bought three classics immediately, and traffic was steady the entire session. I still have a lot of can't miss children's books, and a few of my Russian stock sold as well, including a small Bible. I spotted the elderly gentleman who donated 15 books last week sitting on his walker on the opposite side of East 15th. I counted out five singles, approached and handed them to him, saying: "We're even." I illustrated by given a sort of umpire safe sign. I think he understood. He was beaming and patted me on the back. "DVD?" he said in his thick accent. "No -- no more," I replied. Although the brief partnership was profitable, I much prefer the 100% variety. He wasn't stupid -- he got eight bucks out of me. My thanks to the old-timer, all the other buyers, and to the gentleman who donated six pristine hard cover romances and a dozen Murder She Wrote paperbacks.
Vic's 4th Novel: http://tinyurl.com/bszwlxh
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Horror Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3
Vic's Rom-Com Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/kny5llp
Vic’s Short Story on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/k95k3nx

No comments:

Post a Comment