Total Pageviews

Friday, April 26, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/26 - #1's

Round One of 2013 NFL draft is in the books. It’s the year of the offensive linemen, many having been selected, including the first two picks. When I attended Western Michigan University, we used to look down on Central Michigan as inferior, although it certainly wasn’t the case. I’m very surprised that the number one pick overall, Eric Fisher, is a Chippewa. They must be celebrating in Mount Pleasant. Locally, I think the Jets did well, although they opted for defense with their two picks when offense is their most glaring need. One troubling aspect: CB Dee Milliner has already had five surgeries. If I were a GM, I wouldn’t use a first round pick on anyone who’d had major surgery. Football is debilitating. The body can take only so much. As for the Giants, their choice of an offensive lineman is solid but boring. The biggest surprise of the night was the Bills' selection of Florida St. QB EJ Manuel. They may have been able to get him in the second round. I think the steal of the draft will be USC QB Matt Barkley, whose stock fell after an injury to his non-throwing shoulder and a drop-off in performance in his senior year. If he lands on a team with a weak QB, I wouldn’t be surprised if he were starting by the middle of the season. I’m unsure about West Virginia’s Geno Smith. Does he have the potential to be another Robert Griffin III, or is he just another great college QB whose skills won’t translate well to pro football? Regardless, I suspect he will go early in Round Two. To no one’s surprise, Manti Te’o has not yet been selected. His weak performance in the national championship vs. Alabama and his silly Twitter scandal have hurt his reputation. Still, he will be one of the most interesting figures to watch once training camps open. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t taken in the second round. Even though I don’t follow sports as avidly as I once did, I still love the NFL draft and all the speculation that accompanies it. 

RIP country music legend George Jones, 81. He had 14 number one hits during his 50 year career, despite a long battle with alcohol and drug addictions. His work, especially his baritone voice, was respected by artists of every genre, including Frank Sinatra, Elvis Costello and Keith Richards. He was married four times. His tumultuous relationship with superstar Tammy Wynette was splashed across the pages of newspapers coast to coast. He missed so many concerts due to hard living that he was dubbed "No Show Jones." No one was more surprised than he when He Stopped Loving Her Today became his biggest hit in 1981, reviving his career. It frequently appears as number one on lists of the greatest country songs. He remained a traditionalist until the end and lamented the evolution of country music to its current pop and rock-like forms.

I sold only three books today, but I have no cause to complain. First of all, it was a gorgeous day, and I was way on the plus side even before I set up shop, having received a check from Toluna Surveys. Two of my favorites, Old Simon, who has donated more than 100 books, and Marty, who purchased Adjustments a few months ago, are struggling. Simon, 86, is undergoing a combination of chemo and radiation therapy. Marty, who I'd guess is 75, went through a grueling biopsy session yesterday. He was at the clinic ten hours, strapped in at one time so that he couldn't move while tests were being done, waiting four hours between chest x-rays taken to make sure he hadn't suffered a collapsed lung. For the first time he was walking with a cane this afternoon. He seems to be wasting away. Although I'm no stranger to people passing, especially the past few years, it hasn't gotten easier to accept, no matter how many times I tell myself "It's just life."
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment