Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 4/11 - Found

I recently found a box chock full of CDs and DVDs in the trash room on the second floor of our building. I’ve already sold several geared to Russian-Americans. I’ve begun watching the films to make sure they aren’t damaged. The first two, Octopussy (1983) and Moonraker (1979), from the Roger Moore as James Bond era, are in perfect condition. Unfortunately, the content is dreadfully dull, despite the presence of the requisite beauties, and the gadgetry and explosions. I was never able to warm up to Moore in the role of 007, perhaps because he immediately followed Sean Connery, my favorite. I enjoyed all the other screen Bonds, even Timothy Dalton, who played it so close to the vest. Anyway, back to the tale of the found treasure: Last night I watched Finder’s Fee (2001), an independent film completely foreign to me, a wonderful surprise. It begins when a young man finds a wallet that has a winning lottery ticket inside. Most of the scenario takes place inside the guy’s apartment, where four friends share a poker night, which is crashed by James Earl Jones. Although I knew the name of only one of the four principals, Ryan Reynolds, one of the hottest actors at present, all were familiar through numerous appearances on TV shows and in other films: Erik Palladino, Matthew Lillard, and Dash Mihok. Each did great work, aided by a script that had in-depth characterization. It was written and directed by Jeff Probst, who spends most of his time producing Survivor, in which I've never been interested. It’s not reality when the participants know cameras are filming. Anyway, I’m disappointed Probst hasn’t done more screenplays. This is good work, done tightly in 100 minutes, and pretty much free of the profanity usually found in modern buddy movies. Is it flawless? No, but it is entertaining and thought-provoking. It proves once again that a good story doesn’t require length, action every few minutes, and a big budget. On a scale of five, I rate it 3.5. It is rated 6.4 of ten at IMDb. 

I expected the floating book shop to be rained-out today. I was very lucky that a lengthy rainless window opened between storms. Although business was sparse, there were a couple of special moments. An elderly gentleman pulled up on a bike and bought a biography on General Stormin' Norman Schwartzkopf, architect of Desert Storm, the first Iraq incursion. Later, another senior citizen handed me a wad of singles and said: "Thanks, that was a great book I bought the other day." I scoured my memory and realized he was referring to the one on the Chicago Cubs of the Jazz Age. I told him to take something else, but, speaking on a cell phone, he was too busy to stop. My thanks to those old boys and to the Russian woman who has bought so many novels in her own tongue, another today. I also had a visit from legendary retired salesman Morty, 78, who recently underwent cancer treatment. He's doing so well his doctor told him not to come back for another year. He was all smiles. Yes!
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment