Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/28 - Windy

The new network TV series have been running for a month. I’ve been watching four. So far, Nashville, which airs Wednesday at ten EST on ABC, is the best of the group. I continue to be impressed at how genuine the song clips sound. And there is none of the over the top portrayal that used to be prevalent regarding country artists. The show is grounded.
The Last Resort, Thursday eight EST ABC, is the most problematic of the bunch, although it has been entertaining. U.S. leaders have bombed areas of Pakistan in a pre-emptive war. So far, the term “right wing” hasn’t surfaced and the President hasn’t been seen. I’m surprised the show is running during the current administration. It plays more like an indictment of Bush’s policies.
Elementary, Thursday ten PM EST CBS, is solid, exactly what fans of Sherlock Holmes would expect, at least those who do not believe the iconic figure must remain in a specific time and place. The only problem is that his character is written as so arrogant it may eventually wear on everyone but hardcore followers.
Vegas, Tuesday ten PM EST CBS, has been standard fare. Fortunately, the lead character has been humanized a bit through his reminisces of his dead wife. I read this morning in the NY Post’s TV Week section that the character of Ralph Lamb is based on the man by that name who served as Sheriff of Las Vegas from ’61-’79. Now 85, he shares the same birthday as the man who plays him, Dennis Quaid. A critic spotted satellite dishes in certain shots. That type of error doesn’t bother me. I’m interested in strong narrative and interesting characters. I’m not ready to give up hope on the show.
My former favorite, Fringe, Friday nine PM EST FOX, is in its last season. It’s not as good as it was, as the show seems limited to a plot line from which it probably will not deviate -- wresting the planet away from the Watchers. In past seasons, just like in The X-Files, there were great episodes that had little or nothing to do with the main story arc. I miss that.

I was bad yesterday. I had one of the new angus burgers at McDonalds, the Bacon-Cheddar. That sucker was tasty. I didn’t order fries, but I did have a coke. That’s about 1000 calories. It will be months before I have another.

I watched a wild flick last night, courtesy of Netflix. The Yellow Sea (2010) was made in South Korea, whose films have been gaining respect. This one reminded of Old Boy (2003), but was even more violent. I’m not sure I understood the entire plot, and I question why the gangsters use only blades and not guns, but the intensity grabbed me. It may have more car wrecks than any movie in history. Its chase scenes, while highly implausible, were breath-taking. On a scale of five, three-and-a-half. It is rated 7.3 at IMDb.

By the time I collected the laundry at my sister's, it was almost noon. It wasn't raining and the wind wasn't any worse than many of the days I've set up the floating book shop. Knowing there's a possibility of being stuck indoors the next two days, I decided to give it a shot. I took a copy each of Killing, Adjustments and A Hitch in Twilight, and no other books, to Bay Parkway and 86th Street. I wanted to be able to move fast if the skies opened up. There were as many people out and about as usual. As soon as I'd placed the books atop the milk crate, a woman stopped, drawn by the cover of Killing. Ann Marie lives near 18th Avenue. She bought. If I ever complain about bad luck again, kick me. Thanks, ma'am.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment