Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/4 - Debatable

Although Mitt Romney's performance last night was excellent, I don't know if it will swing the electorate. In an op-ed piece in today's NY Post, Jonathan Podhoretz pointed out that some candidates who have won the first debate have gone on to lose the election, and some who have lost the first have gone on to win. Romney would have to win all three convincingly to change minds. What he can accomplish in them is to attract the undecideds. I was shocked when I saw the polling results from the so-called swing states. The President is leading in every one, by double digits in two. How that is possible for someone with his economic record is a mystery I will never understand. Then again, FDR remained, and remains, popular despite the fact that his policies did nothing to alleviate the Great Depression and may have even prolonged it. Many on the right believe the polls are skewed or designed intentionally to depress the vote of Republicans and Independents. I'm not sure I buy this, as they were spot on four years ago and have been solid for ten, which pundits and pollsters have pointed out. Last night's result was not that surprising. Romney has extensive experience in the business world. Obama has none. When his handlers a few days ago said he wasn't a good debater, they seemed to be preparing his supporters for two outcomes: expected defeat or surprise victory. I doubt anyone on either side expected such a rout.

In what may have been the least surprising professional sports move of all time, Bobby Valentine has been fired by the Boston Red Sox. He seemed to alienate everyone in the organization, including himself. True, he inherited a team in sharp decline, but he exacerbated the situation. I wonder if he will ever be offered another managerial position. He should have recognized the situation and begun a smooth transition to the next phase in team history. Easier said than done, I suppose, especially for the highly competitive.

I've made money at the floating book shop despite the annoying weather of the past three days. Today I had to cover my wares at least three times as sprinkles fell. Fortunately, three of my regulars showed. I lifted the plastic and pulled out four obscure novels in which Susan might be interested. She bought two. She will be leaving soon for Thailand, where her son lives. She spends the winter there. Next up was Kofi, who bought three books on psychology months ago and asked me to hold onto them. I pulled them from the trunk of my car, along with another on women of color, which he kindly purchased. He secured them in the device at the rear of his bike and headed to Coney Island Hospital, where he works. Finally, an old timer, who visits a nearby bank the fifth of every month, showed. I've been holding a Big Band CD I burned for him a while ago. He was happy I hadn't sold it to someone else. As sprinkles fell, he also selected a few books, one an Alfred Hitchcock bio. The poor guy's lower legs are swollen and red. I fear he will lose them soon. He doesn't complain, of course. His generation is made of stern stuff, not like a certain someone who is made grumpy by a little rain.

Thanks, folks.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment