Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/8 - Party

Yesterday was a great day. Although it was an abbreviated session for the floating book shop, I had several sales and donations. A young man pulled his car up to the bus stop and asked if I wanted the books he had in his trunk, which he'd tried to unload at a flea market, where it's hard to turn a profit, as a set up fee is charged. That's why I take to the sidewalks. He gave me several huge Stephen King tomes and a bunch of how-to and cook books. I sold a lot of them. And Ali Baba showed up with a batch of novels Simon, the 84-year-old veteran, left at the gyro stand. Thank you, sirs.
We timed our trip to Jersey perfectly, going and coming. Traffic was a breeze. And my nieces, Isabel and Tanya, paid for the gasoline, which is forty cents cheaper in the Garden State than Brooklyn. Luci couldn't make it, as she had to work. We celebrated the 14th birthday of my great-niece/godchild Danielle. Fortunately, her mom, Sandra, and dad were able to get away from work early, so we were all at a table in Applebee's before six. There were a couple of beautiful waitresses on the staff. Unfortunately, they weren't our servers. One, a blond, sat directly in my sight line for a long while - two dishes for the price of one. I ordered the Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp, and really enjoyed it. Dani ordered pasta. She wore a purple tiara that matched her blouse. My sister, who at 82 is 20 years older than me, had the Fish and Chips - and dessert. I am amazed at her appetite, and she is so thin! She picked up the entire tab. I call her Mrs. Rockefeller. The highlight, of course, was when the staff approached clapping rhythmically and chanting, which was a lot more fun than the singing of Happy Birthday.
Recently, the family traveled south to scout college locations for Ron Jr., who will be a junior this year and has an eye on a career in pharmaceuticals. Whilst in a restaurant in Tennessee, where a local blue grass band was playing, Ron Sr. approached the banjo player. Soon Sr. and Jr., a guitarist, were asked to sit in with the band. The locals really took to the Yankees and extended invitations to their homes the next time they were in that neck of the woods. This was so different than what they experienced in North Carolina, where they felt the folks weren't too pleased with their presence. At least they weren't there for white water rafting like the guys in James Dickey's Deliverance. Who knows what might have happened to them? Ronnie most likely will be attending the university at Chapel Hill. He is growing up - and still growing. He recently attended a week-long seminar at Columbia University in Manhattan, his first time on his own, and he had a ball.
Business was good today also at the floating book shop. The same young man donated even more books, many of them in the health genre, a couple of which sold. Lev bought three of the huge Stephen King volumes, Herbie another. The only negative - and I'm not sure it is the case - is that my own books may be overshadowed by the selection I'm now carrying. Now that I'm receiving Social Security and don't really need the book shop dollars anymore, I'd rather focus on my own books, but it's hard to turn down the nice people who make an effort to bring me books.
Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6 
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic’s Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3f

No comments:

Post a Comment