Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/12 - Hope

I'm impressed with Mitt Romney's choice for Vice-President. Paul Ryan seems to knows his stuff and, more importantly, may be able to articulate his ideas on the economy, especially the growing problem of entitlements. It will not be easy. 90% of the media will hurl as much mud as possible at the Republicans, and do its best to scare the electorate into voting for the President. Given the state of the economy, the election should be no contest, but Romney lacks charisma, and a lot of people still blame Bush, who deserves it because his economic policies in his second term were liberal. Romney has to convince a significant portion of the more than 50% of Americans that receive some sort of government assistance that his way is better. His recent trip to Europe, where I thought he hit all the right notes, shows how the press will hammer him mercilessly until Election Day. The appointment of Ryan has given the right hope.

I hadn't been impressed with the PBS reunions of old rock n rollers for several years. I found the productions nauseatingly slick and I suspected that some of the acts pre-recorded their vocals. Last night I happened to catch a ten minute segment. The Tokens were introduced by legendary NYC disc jockey Cousin Bruce Morrow, who said the entire original line-up was intact, including the original Jay of Jay and the Americans. Jay Black was their second lead. The group did a great rendition of The Lion Sleeps Tonight, aided by a young woman who sang the operatic highs. And I believe it was not pre-recorded. That was followed by a knock-out performance by Little Anthony and the Imperials. It was so good I suspected it was gleaned from a past concert at least 15 years old. Wimoweh!

It looked like it was going to be a very disappointing session for the floating book shop. I had only one sale in almost three hours, a baby guide to a young mom. Then actor/singer extraordinaire Johnny Feets showed and bought The Amityville Horror. While we were gabbing, an energetic elderly woman approached and lamented that she had recently donated 276 hard cover books to the Salvation Army, as she has acquired a Kindle. I told her she'd done the right thing and mentioned that Killing and A Hitch in Twilight, which Johnny Boy wholeheartedly endorsed, were available electronically. Her face lit up, especially when she learned that the family in Killing is Italian-American. I wrote down the information and she thanked me profusely, promising to pass it on to friends. I try not too get to excited about such events, as people never follow up. Once they leave without having purchased one of my books, I rarely hear from them again. But it was a shot in the arm. It's been awhile between sales of my books.
Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic’s Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3f

No comments:

Post a Comment