Total Pageviews

Friday, August 24, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 8/24 - Impossible

I was so looking forward to seeing Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) that I was sure I was setting myself up for a let down. Fortunately, that was not the case. I watched it last night, courtesy of Netflix. The series, now in its fourth installment, continues to deliver excitement. Of course, the outcome is always a given in such fare - the hero will prevail. The real show is the thrills and surprises, the plot twists, the fate of the co-stars. The film’s most exciting scene takes place on a skyscraper in Dubai. I repeatedly experienced that flash that is common when looking down from heights. There is the requisite gadgetry and special effects, including a chase through a sandstorm and another through a new age parking garage. Another plus is the inclusion of the original TV theme in the score. Although Tom Cruise has begun to lose his boyishness, it is not essential to his role here. My only quibble is with the banter between characters. It is frequently lame rather humorous, at least to my taste. There are also odd cameos from Ving Rhames and Michelle Monaghan, co-stars in the previous installment. I wonder if they were under contract to appear but were left out when the screenwriters couldn’t find a place for them. Perhaps they will return for number five. The ubiquitous Jeremy Renner, star of The Hurt Locker (2008) and the latest Bourne opus, is also in support, as is Josh Holloway, Sawyer of Lost, my first sighting of him since the end of the series. JJ Abrams, Hollywood’s most successful producer at the moment, proved loyal to his former employee. Brad Bird served as director, his ninth film. I have not seen any of his others. The pace is fast, the plot simple - a solid popcorn movie. On a scale of five, three-and-a-half. The folks at IMDb rate it 7.4 out of ten.

It is impossible to believe that Anders Breivek, the Norwegian terrorist who murdered 79 in a bomb and gun attack, received only a 21 year prison term. That is the maximum in Norway. He is only 33. If he serves the full sentence, he will be 54 when he is released, young and strong enough to do a lot more damage. I understand opposition to the death penalty. It is a noble position. But the lack of a life sentence in its stead seems insanity. As beautiful as Norway is, I'm glad I don't live there.

I will be doing my own version of Mission Impossible this evening, taking copies of Killing right to its source, 18th Avenue, where the annual Santa Rosalia Feast is underway. I'm curious to see if people react to the cover, which prominently displays the street sign. What have I got to lose, especially if I stay away from the sausage and peppers stand? My thanks to the kind folks who bought books during the afternoon session of the floating book shop, and to Marie, who donated more CDs and several books. She will be going to Canada for a few days. Have fun, madam.

Visit Vic’s sites:
Vic’s Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic’s Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic’s Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic’s 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic’s 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic’s Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment