Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Writer's Life 10/3 - Sore Loser

It's sad how so many people jump to conclusions before facts are verified. As great as Facebook is, it is ripe for misinformation from partisans and sick practical jokers, and the naive who share their posts.

Sign of the times: An article in today's NY Post details the opening of a Shake Shack in Manhattan's East Village. It will be entirely automated except for "hospitality champs," paid $15 per hour, who will assists customers with any problem that may arise. Cash will not be accepted. Payment will be by credit card or through apps on phones and tablets. I assume the cooks will be actual humans.

Also in the Post, from the Fast Takes column: Liberals cheered in 2003 when the naval bombers training site at Vieques Island was closed. If it had remained in operation, nearby Puerto Rico would have a lot more help right now.

There were no sales at the floating book shop today. My thanks to Herbie, who donated a paperback copy of Stephen King's It, the adaptation of which has been the most popular film by far in America the past month. Justin, a local porter, informed me of a cache in the backyard of the building he serves. Since business has been so slow, I didn't want to add more stock, even though I was sure the stuff would be eminently marketable. Not wanting to be an ingrate, I checked it out. I again have the full set of the Twilight series, of which I must have sold at least five the past few years. There were also a couple of novels each by R.L. Stine and Neil Gaiman, as well as a bunch of other attractive works geared toward children eight and up, including a huge pictorial. I left behind a quarter of what was there, although the books were appealing. I didn't recognize the authors. The trunk and back seat of the old Hyundai are again filled to the max. I have such a large inventory that I've been leaving the more obscure works stored in my apartment in the lobby. I set out four each morning, and they have all disappeared by the time I return in mid afternoon. Apparently, free is fine, paying a buck or two is not. I have to remind myself that I sold a copy of one of my novels Sunday. That is the primary purpose of the floating book shop, so I shouldn't be so bummed about today's goose egg. It's similar to the feeling I'd get after losing a sporting event, even the meaningless stickball games in the street or two-hand touch in the schoolyard. "Sore loser" was the term we used.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment