Total Pageviews

Monday, August 21, 2017

The Writer's Life 8/21 - A Mensch Passes

RIP Jerry Lewis, 91, a true mensch, a rare performer larger than life. IMDb has 74 titles listed under his name as actor, 23 as director, 20 as writer, but those are naked numbers that fail to express his cultural impact. His manic personality complemented Dean Martin's suave cool perfectly. As a team they were the top box office drawer in America from 1950-'56. And his popularity continued after the act broke up. He was the top box office drawer in '57, '59 and from '61-'64. He did Broadway and also cut an album, Jerry Just Sings, which cracked Billboard's top 20. A single from it, Rock-a-Bye Your Baby," hit #10. He taught a film class at the University of California. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were his students. He hosted his own talk show. He was very credible in drama, his most notable role in Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy (1982), starring opposite Robert DeNiro. Under his leadership, $2.5 billion dollars were raised for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Here are a couple of telling quotes attributed to him: "I was about as discreet as a ... bull taking a piss in your living room." And: "I was nine all of my life. Nine is innocent. Nine has a tremendous sense of humor and nine sees everything." Well done, sir. All at once: "Hey, laaaaaadee!"

I believe the individual mandate, which fines those who do not have health insurance, is as Un-American as any law ever enacted. The initial numbers of its impact are public. In 2015 4% of tax filers were fined. Somehow that added up to $3 billion. That total will be higher for '16 and '17, as the fine nearly doubled. For shame.

My thanks to the young woman who purchased a Nora Roberts romance, and to her male companion, who bought The Airbnb Story: How Three Ordinary Guys Disrupted an Industry, Made Billions . . . and Created Plenty of Controversy by Leigh Gallagher; and to the woman who bought Sojourner Truth Ain't I a Woman? a Scholastic Biography by Patricia C. McKissack,and a hardcover book on fighting diabetes through natural remedies. My thanks also to Herbie, who donated two novels. Of course, today's main topic of conversation was the eclipse. Just about all my well-wishers mentioned it. By the time I pack away all the wares into the old Hyundai I'm so bushed all I want to do is get home, pour cold water on my head, snack, read, and nap. Coming out of CVS at about 2:25, I looked toward the sun, which one is not supposed to do, even while wearing sunglasses. The glare was too great. I had to settle for photos posted on the web.


Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment