Total Pageviews

Friday, September 13, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 9/13 - Triskaidekaphobia

Friday the 13th proved lucky for the floating book shop. I brought out five of the non-fiction books Lev donated yesterday, the ones I thought the most marketable. I guessed right. They all sold. Buyers showed up immediately. The beautiful Dancing with the Stars pictorial was among the first to go. I later had to cover the wares for about 40 minutes, as it drizzled. My patience was rewarded, as several customers made purchases the last half hour, and I gave my name to a woman who mentioned she had a Kindle, hoping she'll buy Killing, which is now 99 cents. Thanks, folks.

I didn't find anything interesting in the newspaper or online today, so here's an excerpt from a screenplay I had copyrighted in 1998, and which I plan to offer as a Kindle book this winter. A Truth Universally Acknowledged is a rom-com. The protagonists are a commodities trader who earned a GED and a Ivy league educated magazine writer. Its chief influences are Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew and Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The piece is approximately a five-minute read:

   As Kate arrives at her door, she finds a letter from her mother in the mailbox. She
opens it immediately. It contains a photograph of her and Joe dancing at the charity ball. 
They took so right together. Her eyes register fear.
   That evening, with Duke Ellington's Do Nothing 'til You Hear from Me playing in the
background, Kate and Joe are seated on the sofa in their separate residences. On the
coffee table before Joe sits an open phone book wherein Kate's number has been circled. 
He picks up the receiver, thinks twice, puts it down, mutters to himself.
Joe:
   Crazy. She doesn't want you.
   Kate, legs curled to her chest, stares wistfully at the phone, longing for it to ring. She
rises and pours a glass of vodka over ice.
   Joe begins taking out his frustration via a speed (punching) bag, grunting maniacally as
he flails.
   Kate, drunk, glass in hand, finally picks up the phone. She dials the wrong number, a
women on an answering machine. The beep sounds.
Kate:
   Why do fools fall in love?
   Joe is now skipping rope at a fast pace. The phone rings. He hurries to it, pauses to
take a breath, picks up the receiver.
Joe:
   Hello.
Kate:
   Are you welching on a bet?
   He muses a moment, unsure of himself, puzzled.
Joe:
   I thought you said ....
Kate:
   I want my dinner.
Joe:
   Where d'you wanna go?
Kate:
   Surprise me. Pick me up at seven tomorrow night. Dress like a human being.
   She hangs up and curls into a ball. Joe, who had been about to reply, stares at the
receiver, not sure what to think.
   Part Eight: A limousine pulls up to Kate's residence. Joe exits and bends to speak to
the driver, Dan, the same young man who delivered the computer.
Joe:
   My tie straight?
Dan:
   Perfect. Go get 'em.
   Joe rings the doorbell.
Kate:
   Petruccio?
Joe:
   Buzz me in. I got Chinese food.
Kate:
   Chinese food!
   He chuckles.
Joe:
   You're so easy.  Whenever you're ready ....
   Soon she exits the building, wearing a tasteful summer dress. She looks toward the limo. Joe is in the back seat, Dan still at the wheel. They stare in awe.
Joe:
   Whattaya think?
   Minc! I can't believe it's the same girl.
Joe:
   Unbelievable, right?  Listen, I want you to cue up a CD.
Dan:
  Good, good. I know exactly what you're thinkin'.
   Dan exits the car and opens the rear passenger door. Kate approaches tentatively, peers
inside. Joe, smiling sheepishly, waves. She enters and the door is closed behind her.
Joe:
   You look as beautiful as you did that night at the ball.
   She is speechless. Dan takes the wheel.
Joe:
   Kate Barski, say hello to Danny Napoli. Danny's what this country's all about.  By day
he works for peanuts as a clerk, hopin' for a shot at becomin' a broker.  At night he drives
a limo to make ends meet.
Kate:
   You delivered the computer, didn't you?
Joe:
   He does a lot for me. How 'bout some champagne?
   She shrugs as if to say "Why not?"
Joe:
   What's'a matter? You're actin' like you never be in a limo before. I know that can't be.
Kate:
   It's just that this is so unexpected.
Joe:
   We're flyin' first class tonight. Fasten your seat belt.
He pauses, reflecting.
Joe:
   Was that a figure of speech? I don't know how I know that. Maybe you remind me of
Miss Finkelstein, one of my old junior high teachers. She was a hot number, too.
She smiles.  He looks to Dan.
Joe:
   Maestro.
   Sinatra's The Way You Look Tonight fills the interior. Joe and Kate look at each
other, eyes aglow. Kate flushes. Joe pops the champagne cork.
Vic's 4th Novel: http://tinyurl.com/bszwlxh
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3
Vic’s Short Story on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/k95k3nx

No comments:

Post a Comment