Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 6/2 - New Yorkers

RIP Jean Stapleton, 90, who portrayed one of the most beloved television characters of all-time, Edith Bunker, the embodiment of all that is good in a wife and mother. She was the perfect counter-point to her husband, the cynical, intolerant Archie, played brilliantly by the late Carroll O’Connor. Both were born in NYC - just like the memorable characters they portrayed. I have never watched the episode in which Edith dies. I won't. To me, she is eternal. The other night I viewed, for the first time, the touching episode where Michael, Gloria and baby Joey depart for California, where the Meathead has landed an assistant professorship. The closing scene, Edith and Archie seated alone in their accustomed living room chairs in their now empty nest, is powerfully understated, unlike most of the landmark series that was All in the Family. They’ve had their hearts ripped out and sit there quietly as the screen fades to black. Thank you, dingbat. Everyone knows you’re in heaven.

The late Robert Ludlum, also born in NYC, is one of the most successful authors of all time. He wrote more than 20 thrillers and it is estimated that there are between 290 and 500 million copies in print in 33 languages. I’ve enjoyed the Hollywood adaptations of the Bourne series, which are only loosely based on the novels. Eric Van Lustbader has continued the series in print, writing seven books. Other writers cite Ludlum as the co-author of their work. Among the thrillers recently donated to the floating book shop by Madeline was Trevayne, which Ludlum wrote under the pseudonym Jonathan Ryder in the days when it was believed un-literary for an author to have more than one book published per year. It is the story of a self-made businessman selected to head a committee investigating fraud in Pentagon spending. I wish another of his novels had been available. I forced myself to read it, wanting to keep an open mind. The defense budget, which is no doubt bloated, is miniscule compared to social spending, which suffers even greater fraud. I just wasn’t that interested in the plot. The novel is basically party-neutral, well-written and contains many references to classical literature. In my mind, the less politics in life the better, although I have enjoyed a few films about the process. There is enough of it in the media and a lot of it is infuriating. Because of my bias, I will pass on rating the book.

My thanks to Sara, a Muslim who will be marrying a Catholic, who purchased Close to the Edge. I hope she doesn't suffer the insanity many women of her faith have. My thanks also to all the other kind folks who made purchases today on Bay Parkway.
Vic's 4th Novel:
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment