Total Pageviews

Friday, December 21, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 12/21 - Gold -

I had another of my vivid dreams last night. I was back at the Exchange, on my lunch break, and forgot all about time. I was away an hour and 15 minutes instead of a half-hour. When I got back to the Copper trading pit, everyone was mad at me, especially the Supervisor, Victor T., who passed away long ago, and his assistant, Mike, my good friend. I’d missed a Fast Market. I suppose the dream was triggered by anxiety regarding my latest publishing possibility, the novel Exchanges, which is set at 4 World Trade Center, where we were situated until July 1997. The oddest thing about the dream is that I worked in the Gold market the last 15 years of my employment there, and the novel focuses on my five or so years in the Silver pit, which preceded my short stay in Copper. I have no idea why the time factor was so clear. Do the numbers relate to something specific in my life? Do I feel guilty about not incorporating any of my experiences in Copper in the book? I added several from my years in gold. The mind works in mysterious ways.

The incomparable Hondo, one of the NY Post’s football handicappers, whose column focuses on satire on current events rather than gridiron analysis, has done it again, scoring with a hilarious acerbic comment. He mentions that Martin Scorsese, who will be doing a documentary on Bill Clinton, will omit the Lewinsky scandal. He is baffled as to how the saga of “the crusty blue love dress” can be left out of a film about one of the "semenal figures in American politics."

I expected the rain to last the entire day. I was so surprised when I opened the venetian blinds to throw some light on my guitar strings, and found the sun shining. After lunch I asked myself if I should set up the floating book shop or if it were a stupid idea. Of course I opted to do it, thinking "Give it a shot," "What've you got to lose?" The only deterrent was the wind. Again I was surprised. It wasn't that bad. Although the sun had disappeared behind dark clouds, the temperature was in the upper 40's. What the hell? I thought. As I was about to set up, a handsome young man approached. Jake had purchased books from me before. He prefers sci-fi, and I plucked out three books. He also spotted Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. I'd expected to draw a blank this day. I thanked him and he returned to his SUV. Then it occurred to me - Duh! - to mention A Hitch in Twilight to him, and he bought it! I was beside myself. I have to be the luckiest SOB going. Thank you, sir, and also to the 85-year-old veteran, Simon, who donated four paperbacks. I was surprised he showed on such a day.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment