Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Writer's Life 6/21 - Sloganeering

Here's a word I don't recall having come across previously - "paralipomena." It is defined as: things omitted from a work and added as a supplement. It's in the book I'm currently reading, which was written by a shrink. I'll be surprised if I ever encounter it again.

With business very slow at the floating book shop, I entertained myself by cataloging the slogans emblazoned on T-shirts and bags:
"My coffee needs coffee." Java-mania is one of the most popular subject of the posts of my Facebook friends.
"We make people better." This was worn by Mr. Morty, 84, a retired salesman who believes he will soon get a cancer diagnosis.
A Brooklyn Cyclones T-shirt that had an inscription in Hebrew on it, worn by Alan, who usually sports a St. Louis Cardinals cap.
"Diamonds, por favor." Great warning for males of the species.
"Me? Perfect? Always?" Ditto.
What looked like a softball T-shirt had the number 13 and the name "Witch" above it. Double ditto.
"Will not work for anything." This was worn by Gonzo, 60, who has said he has never worked a day in his life. I'm afraid to ask.
"If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't f--- them." I would like it if the profanity were replaced. It was worn by a young woman who has bought non-fiction from me, youthful indiscretion, not an indication of her true nature, I'm sure. Today she settled half her two-buck tab. My thanks, and also to the woman who donated four hardcovers, three of them in Russian. It was one of those sessions where the toil dwarfed the return.

Here's clever use of Paul Simon's The Sound of Silence:



No comments:

Post a Comment