Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/9 - Bling

Sofia Coppola, Francis Ford’s daughter, is a maker of serious films. I’ve now seen three of her eight works. I wasn’t crazy about her debut effort, The Virgin Suicides (1999), which seemed lacking, unsatisfying, although it was critically acclaimed. I have the utmost respect for Lost in Translation (2003), for which she won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. I would not have added The Bling Ring (2013) to my list at Netflix had she not been the director. I didn’t think I’d relate to it at all, and that turned out to be the case. I probably am in the bottom one-percent of jewelry owners and my wardrobe is picayune and inexpensive. The flick is the story of a group of upper middle class teens who rob the houses of celebrities they ascertain, through web research, aren’t home. I suppose the point is to highlight the shallow obsession many have with pop stars. That is achieved almost immediately, and there isn’t much else of interest afterward. There are clues as to what might have caused the group’s descent into grand larceny: prescription drugs, dingbat parenting, broken homes, media glamorization of the rich and famous. The young cast is fine, although they aren't asked to do much more than portray "cool" teens. Unfortunately, the characters are so superficial as to be uninteresting. The film runs through the events in 90 minutes, which rescues it from ever becoming boring. It is shot in an appropriately glitzy manner and has a hip hop soundtrack. I believe it is the first time I did not recognize a single song used in a movie. I didn't even recognize any of the artists doing them. It made me feel completely out of touch with the happenings. I believe a documentary of less than an hour is better suited for such a subject. Coppola also wrote the screenplay, as she frequently does to her films. She based it on an article, The Suspect Wore Louboutins, in Vanity Fair by Nancy Jo Sales. None of the miscreants served more than two years in prison. The film is rated 5.7 of ten at IMBd. It did not fare well at the box office, at least in the U.S., where it earned eight million against an estimated budget of 15. A previous production, same title, which I haven't seen, was issued in 2011. It is rated 5.0. On a scale of five, I rate Coppola’s version two.



There's a fun article by Shane Bacon at Yahoo Sports today. It has a snapshot of the first check Jack Nicklaus earned as a pro golfer in January 1962. He finished tied for 50th place and received $33.33. In contrast, Tiger Woods debuted in 1997 and made $2544 for a tie for 60th. This past November, Len Mattiace, who's been on the tour since 1990, took in $14,660 for a tie for 49th. Nice work if you can get it.


I have mixed feelings about New Jersey governor Chris Christie. I'm not sure he's a true conservative. Then again, he may do some of the things he does simply to hold on to power in a liberal state. Anyway -- he has denied knowledge of the scandal that had authorities blocking traffic on the George Washington Bridge in retaliation for the refusal of the Mayor of Fort Lee, a Democrat, to endorse the governor in the last election. If it is found he is lying, he should be removed from office immediately. I'm sure the liberal media will be investigating and eager to nail him, to eliminate the potential presidential candidate they most fear.

My most loyal customer, Marie, has rated Close to the Edge five stars at Amazon. Here’s what she had to say: “This is a brilliant depiction of some of the Italian families and relationships in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. This was real life as we knew it in the 70s. Colorful characters, powerful and vital emotions. This book is thoroughly enjoyable with never a dull moment! It was very hard to put this book down, but when I did, I couldn't wait to get back to it.” The novel has now attracted comments from ten customers, not all of them friends and relatives. Clink on the link to my first novel to read more.

I got to thank Marie personally today with a hug and kiss, as the floating book shop returned, despite a temperature of 25 degrees. The wind was negligible and the sun strong, so it didn't feel that cold in any part of my bundled body but my toes. I thank the young man who purchased a book on cloning and the middle aged gentleman who bought the novel in Russian.
Vic's 4th Novel: http://tinyurl.com/bszwlxh
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Horror Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3
Vic's Rom-Com Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/kny5llp
Vic’s Short Story on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/k95k3nx

No comments:

Post a Comment