Total Pageviews

Friday, November 22, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 11/22 - Jokers

Today the question on the mind of many, especially baby boomers, is: “Where were you when you heard the President was shot?” I, a freshman, was on a stairwell in Lafayette High School. What I remember feeling was shock. I don’t remember if I was scared. Probably so, as it was the height of the cold war and nuclear war seemed a distinct possibility. We were in Mrs. Lewis English class when our Principal, Dr. Leo Weitz, imparted the news of the President's death over the P.A. system. Phil Grigioni, seated in front of me, cheered when we learned school would be dismissed early. I punched him in the back, appalled by his disrespect, although I was happy about the early dismissal too. The most shocking aspect of the next few days was how life went on, despite the momentousness of the event. We played two-hand touch in the street. I’m not sure if I’d realized it before then, but life stops for no one, big or small. Naively, I was happy when Oswald was murdered. My brother in law, 20 years older than me, pointed out that it wasn’t good, that we would never really know the true circumstances of the case. Was there a plot to kill JFK? After all these years, I have not seen any evidence that convinces me there was a conspiracy. Recent advances in forensics have strengthened the single, magic bullet theory. Just weeks before the assassination, Oswald used the same rifle to try and kill a retired general, a right-winger. He shot into the man’s home, the bullet lodging in a wall. Jack Ruby made a routine purchase just four minutes before he killed Oswald. Am I completely convinced that Oswald acted alone? No. Was there a second gunman? The forensic evidence refutes it, although the Zapruder film seems to indicate that the fatal third shot came from the front. Doctors explain the movement of the President from back and to the left as a product of his nervous system. Jackie is said to be trying to retrieve her husband’s brains as she moves so desperately toward the trunk. How could a shot from the rear have projected it backwards? Was there any splatter on or in the front seat? I do not recall hearing anything about that. Unless a participant has stashed a written or audio account somewhere, the event will retain its mystery. 61% of Americans believe there was a conspiracy. How many of them are versed enough on the subject to render an opinion? I’ve watched many programs on the subject, and I don’t feel qualified to say yes or no, although I lean toward no. I see oddities, not evidence proving a conspiracy. More documents will be released in 2017. Why not now? What's the hold up? 50 years have passed.

Having heard the weatherman say it would sprinkle all day, I headed to the viaduct at Avenue Z and East 15th with a limited edition of the floating book shop, hoping to sell some books in Russian. When I saw small patches of blue in the sky, I packed up and headed for my usual nook, set up the full monty, and had terrific luck. I sold a bunch of books, including  A Hitch in Twilight, which Alen, a 22-year-old college man, bought. I also had a long movie conversation with Marie, and was regaled with a joke fest by two old-timers. I was amused more by their character than by the jokes. One, whom I refer to as Captain Spaulding because of his safari-like garb, was dropping loads of f-bombs. 70 and about 50 pounds overweight, Joe, his real name, was having a bad day with arthritic pain. He exhibited a mean side I hadn't seen previously, bragging about beatdowns he administered, one recently. The other gentleman recently spent a night in the hospital, having mixed alcohol and his shingles meds, falling and striking his head, which had a small cut in its brow. Having heard about the attacks young blacks have been perpetrating, he hadn't left his apartment in a week. Life, people never cease to fascinate.
Thanks, folks.
Vic's 4th Novel: http://tinyurl.com/bszwlxh
Vic's 3rd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3
Vic’s Short Story on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/k95k3nx

No comments:

Post a Comment